Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water distribution tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Took off my water pump to get rebuilt. I've a question regarding the water distribution tube. This is for a 37 120c, if it makes a difference. The tube that is currently in it is in great shape however the front of the tube is slightly bent/folded back against the block, about 1/4", it looks like a couple tabs, I'm assuming the purpose of that was to hold it in place? However to me this would cause the pump to not sit flush with the block when installed, even though the tube itself is really thin. Was the tube installed correctly or does the tube simply get pushed into the block with it stopping on its own thus being flushed with the front of the block? Or does it need that little fold to hold it in place? Just wanted to make certain before installing the pump. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (386.37 KB)
200605_5dbcdc33426a5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/11/1 20:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Water distribution tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The tabs are correct. The gasket is thicker than the tabs.

Posted on: 2019/11/1 20:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
The tabs are correct. The gasket is thicker than the tabs.

Thanks Ross! I wanted to be certain. Trust but verify.

Posted on: 2019/11/1 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey ElGroucho, as stated the 'tube tabs are correct. One thing to check when you're reassembling is that the hole in the gasket, when lined up with the bolt holes, is big enough to be outside the brass tabs. In the rebuild kit for my car, I think there were 3, maybe 4 waterpump gasket choices, I presume for different blocks and various pump possibilities, and only one of them fit with the distribution tube hole AND the tabs exposed. I, like you, was worrying about the thing sealing there and the last thing one wants is to get it all back together and have a drip at the bottom of the waterpump. Hard thing to get at and fix, once its all reassembled. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/2 1:15
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:
Hey ElGroucho, as stated the 'tube tabs are correct. One thing to check when you're reassembling is that the hole in the gasket, when lined up with the bolt holes, is big enough to be outside the brass tabs. In the rebuild kit for my car, I think there were 3, maybe 4 waterpump gasket choices, I presume for different blocks and various pump possibilities, and only one of them fit with the distribution tube hole AND the tabs exposed. I, like you, was worrying about the thing sealing there and the last thing one wants is to get it all back together and have a drip at the bottom of the waterpump. Hard thing to get at and fix, once its all reassembled. Chris
Thanks for the tip Chris. I installed it prior to your post and didn't notice if the gasket tube opening on the gasket was bigger then the opening and tabs. It all lined up on the water pump. Hopefully there's no issues with it tomorrow or should I say today when I get up in the morning and fill it up with coolant and start it.

Posted on: 2019/11/2 2:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, good luck ElGroucho. I suppose the gasket is thick enough and the brass is thin enough that there will be some forgiveness there. I find antifreeze leaks so finicky and they can be very persistent when one is trying to fix them. I had a very slow seep in my thermostat housing and took it apart a couple of times before finally getting it 'dry'. I hope you are 'drip free'! Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/2 11:30
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved