Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1949 Packard should i pull the trigger
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
The 1949 2382 is the 23rd Series Super Eight built on the same 127" wb chassis as the Custom Eight but powered by the 327 ci straight eight. It would be best to verify it has the correct engine by the motor number. Things happen in seventy years and as used cars there was little worry whether a replacement engine if one was needed was correct for the car, only that it would bolt in and work.

As Howard has stated, none of the issues are major, just take time, effort and intelligence to sort out, just like every old car.

Of more concern with a Northeast car, how much rust damage should be determined. Trunk floor especially along the rear lip and in the spare well, bottom edge of lid too. Rocker panels, particularly the back side, all body mounts and areas around the fender skirts. Door bottoms and where the outside metal is folded over the inner shell. Some northern cars survive surprisingly well, but most don't so get verification these areas are good. Rust repair is expensive and is difficult to find those competent to do it correctly.

Good luck with your continued investigation and eventual purchase, These Super Eights are wonderful road cars, large and imposing, with all the fine qualities one gets in a Packard.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/3 10:20
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
Hello....The 23rd series 127'wb super 8 used a different chassis (frame), than the 23rd series 127'wb custom 8......

Posted on: 2019/11/4 0:50
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
Again, thank you all for the good advice. I really want this car but late last night the dealer (who is helping his neighbor sell the car) sent me a copy of the title...as I asked to make sure I can register the car in north carolina....and it seems the car, which was brought to vermont from oklahoma was filled out incorrectly.

then, since the transport company i am planning to use asked to make sure the car rolls, stops and turns.....i asked the dealer to confrim.... now i find out that "from sitting" the brake pedal goes to the floor...no brakes, but parking brake works. i read on the forum that this can happen.... so the question.... for $4000, and now no brakes.... is this car worth brining to nc from vermont? thank you. the issues is i am not the most mechanically inclined guy. my limit so faor was simple tune up, etc. thank you!!!

Posted on: 2019/11/4 6:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
as to whether it"s "worth" it, the condition of the body, chrome, interior, of which you've said little, have more to do with it than the mechanical issues you've recounted.

Posted on: 2019/11/4 6:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You/we seem to be learning about this car's condition little by little by little. Even with a $4,000. price, the car might well end up to cost as much as a nice one ready to enjoy. I wonder, do we have a member on Packard Info who would be willing to go take a look for the cost of gas and render an general opinion? One look is worth a thousand photographs and one photograph can be worth a thousand words...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/11/4 10:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

"The 23rd series 127'wb Super 8 used a different chassis (frame), than the 23rd series 127'wb custom 8......"

Thanks for the insight, while other automakers swapped, mixed and matched frames across model series, Packard would make what was appropriate even at additional expense, the right way.

".... now i find out that "from sitting" the brake pedal goes to the floor...no brakes, but parking brake works."

Hmmm, The plot thickens, wonder what else the seller has failed to mention up until now? So now you must include the cost of not only a clutch job but also thorough brake job to the expense you'll have to bear before its ready for the road.

Care to share photos of the car so we can better assess what condition of the body etc is?

Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/4 11:27
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
"Probably the car is for you, but, since the car is out of state and the seller has perhaps "cherry picked" the list of things wrong I wonder if a trip to inspect it, OR, hire an appraiser to look at it is an solution. If you go look take the $ and rent a trailer to take the car home if you're satisfied. There are too many major components on any car that can cost you dearly it's better to know before the sale. Just my 2 cents. Good luck."

Re-read my original post above.
But, due diligence is your responsibility. The seller didn't tell you about the brake issue, you asked for confirmation of some information and got a copy of the registration and suddenly the brake issue appeared. I'd say there is still more information to know about this car. I hope you take this in the spirit of trying to help. Good luck.
Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/4 12:32
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray Allegrezza
See User information
good morning. I decided to pass on this car (link here so you can see it)https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/59431844 because the ad only mentioned it needed a clutch.
Upon asking if there were any other issues, and only after asking, i was informed about the nonfunctional horn, wiring issues, a missing piece of interior trim.. but never was told that the car had no brakes.

I had negotiated with a shipper to pick up the car and the shipper wanted me to verify that since there was an issue with the clutch, that the car did indeed roll, steer and stop. It was at that point that when i asked the seller for confirmation i was told that the brakes did not work.

the last issue was that the title, which came from oklahoma, was signed over to the current seller incorectly and would take me weeks to get that fixed.

But at the end of the day, not being told about the brakes, and wiht the car out of state and me not seeing it firsthand made me decide to enjoy my 52 for the time being and keep looking. Not suggesting the seller was shady, but one would think that the ad should of said....needs work on the clutch and brakes. oh well. i should ad that the dealer, a friend of the seller who was helping him, seemed not be be aware about the brake issue until i asked.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 5:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
You left out the obvious issues with this car - why is that?
The interior is redone, but incorrectly. The paint is shiny but the colors and pattern are gross.

Posted on: 2019/11/5 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Ray

"You can do better" as parents tell their daughter when she announces she wants to marry some crumb-bum. I suspected the car you were considering was that one, given its location. Notwithstanding all the boy-racer paint job and poorly done interior, the mechanic issues and less-than-forthcoming responses from the seller are good reasons to run, run away.

What is on your side to help you find a good example for the money are a number of factors. The 1948-'49 22nd Series or 1949-'50 23rd Series Packard are those were among the highest production series. The survival rate is quite good, as they well-built, tough cars, with straight forward powertrains. Even the early Ultramatics are when serviced and adjusted correctly and driven moderately.

To assist in your search, knowledge is power. I recommend you buy a copy of Robert Neal's book Packard 1948-1950 to familiarize yourself with all aspects of these models. They range all the way from basic Eights to luxurious Custom Eights and a lot in between.

Check Various CL Pickings frequently as we try to highlight good, worthwhile cars worthy of your consideration. Good luck in your search, enjoy your '52 200 for now.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/11/5 16:12
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved