Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Speedometer cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Who is Pat? I'm guessing he rehabs speedometers? If so, that would be a good winter project repair (among many I have on my to do list).

Posted on: 2019/11/12 8:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Who is Pat? If you were to read post #15, you'd see that "39SixSedanMan" signed his post as Pat.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 9:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thank you. I was so busy trying to wrap my mind around the info I didn't connect the name. In my several rereads that part got lost in my head.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 12:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Hey all,
Yes, I (39SixSedanMan, aka Pat) have a speedometer/tachometer repair shop (Bill's Speedometer Shop in Ohio). Too many aliases!

I do not wish to use the forum for advertising; this website and forum are my hobby space and so, I am happy to offer as much advice and assistance as I can here.

Pat

Posted on: 2019/11/12 12:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That's exactly what I will do, David.
Quote:
I do not wish to use the forum for advertising; this website and forum are my hobby space and so, I am happy to offer as much advice and assistance as I can here.

Pat, I totally get that; sorry, not trying to 'mix it up' here, just thought if you are a Packard man and own a speedometer shop, there probably couldn't be a better option than to try and get you to look at it. I will however, 'get it off here' and send you a PM. Thanks man. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/12 14:48
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Oh and Cartrich - a tip for working under the dash... a couple actually; both 'borrowed' (with full credit, of course!) from Joe Santana's blog on the Dutchess: open the fresh air vent as far as it goes and lay a trouble light there; it illuminates under the dash really well. and secondly, take out the bench of the front seat and throw a couple of old pillows on the floor, it will make laying and working there SOOOO much more bearable. (Thanks Joe!) Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 15:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If the speedometer needle is jumpy, it is often due to a sticking cable but whatever is causing it, letting it go too long without lubrication will eventually lead to breakage of the cable. The cable acts as a torsional spring that winds tight when something is binding. If the bind is not absolute, once enough torsional force is there, it breaks free and the needle jumps and the process starts over. If it is absolute and no amount of force can free it, then the cable will twist until it breaks.

Since it's relatively sealed, a little oil or light grease is fine and I even once made an adapter to use from the transmission end to push grease up into it rather than trying to do it from above. I used it only once but it worked well and no more jittery needle even today. Of course, it's also important to oil the speedometer itself periodically and it too can have the same symptoms of sticking intermittently.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Don for the input. I'll definitely pull my cable right out while I have the speedometer out and give it a thorough inspection for burrs and dry areas.Quote:
Punchline: if you ever notice your needle bouncing, the culprit is usually the speedometer itself. If every squealing, definitely the speedometer and disconnect the cable immediately to avoid more damage.
I am both bouncing and squealing so I'm sure the gauge needs serviced. Properly lubricating the cable as it is all put back together will definitely happen. That lubricating fitting you made up sounds cool. thanks again for weighing in, Don. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/12 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
You will be able to pull the inner wound cable out from the speedometer end. They're designed to be replaceable.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Done and done, Pat. I did pull the speedometer out of the dash and it went very well, easier than I anticipated. (THAT sure doesn't happen very often!!) I also removed the inner cable from the casing and it seemed to be in very good shape, I wouldn't call it 'wet' or greasy, but it did have a very thin film of what was probably very light machine oil on it. Barely made my hands dirty when I coiled it up and put a bar-tie on it. The actual mechanical part of removing the gauge is very straightforward, the hard part is actually getting 'up there' and getting wrenches on the nuts and not losing then as they come off, etc. It's a confined work space and it sure ain't easy getting ones head up in there to be able to see what the heck is going on! A headband trouble light is a God-send and Joe's (Santana) 'invention' of putting a trouble light on the open air vent out side on the hood to throw some light on the subject is pure genius. Also Cartrich, when you are removing yours, the shared holes on the speedo and the other gauge clusters are only 'half holes' (see photos) and if you take one side off and just loosen the other side, the unit can be wiggled free. This will make it easier on reassembly as well. Couple of pics... Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.23 KB)
121627_5dcb75c8cd6e7.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (96.71 KB)
121627_5dcb75d987575.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (104.08 KB)
121627_5dcb75ef86cf2.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2019/11/12 22:23
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved