Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific Oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter filter/unit/gauge/block
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you Howard. Great info on the bracket issue. Regarding the engine oil sending unit, I received a new adapter and new unit/switch. The new switch does not screw all the way into the adapter. The old switch does appear to screw all the way in the original adapter though. The issue appears to be common on the internet for modern cars. (TAPERED) 1/8th NPT vs BSPT vs straight thread adapter. Is it ok to screw in just to as far as it goes with teflon tape or is it necessary that the switch screws all the way into the adapter?

Attach file:

jpg  (166.47 KB)
201206_5da87c524fb18.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (54.20 KB)
201206_5da87c67702de.jpg 495X538 px

Posted on: 2019/10/17 9:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific Oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter filter/unit/gauge/block
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would be concerned about a mix between NPT and BSPT and would suggest you verify exactly what you are working with. Napa says there are two NPT thread pitches -- 1/8-27 and 1/8-28 as well as other threads with various differences all in the 1/8-27 or 28 thread range. I am reasonably sure Packard used 1/8-27 NPT at that location but perhaps picking up a thread pitch gauge and checking what you have in the fittings or sender would be worthwhile. It could be that a wrong fitting was thrown in and picked from a box somewhere along the line and you wound up with it. Amazon has several fairly inexpensive gauge offerings, a couple of which are sets capable of measuring almost any thread and pitch ever made.

If a chance the new fittings are BSPT which Napa says has 28 threads or another fitting with the wrong thread I would check if the new fitting and nipple will thread into the block properly before worrying about the sender. Doubt it will and you may have the same issue as the sender. If so that would need to be addressed first. If OK there, you might measure the threaded distance on the sender to make sure there is not an excess length of threads as the reason it appears to be sticking out so far. If that looks OK use one of the straight fittings that came from Max to see if the port in the fitting used for the sender is damaged and is the reason the sender is not threading in. It could also be the sender has the wrong thread. Napa has several senders in the 3-9 psi range including a couple of BSPT versions.

If the sender or fitting is not threading in more than a couple of threads I would be concerned about pressure blowing something off. If it goes in a respectable distance without cross threading or otherwise damaging the threads and seems to be secure then any leaks may or may not be controlled with teflon tape. Just be sure the tape does not manage to wrap the end of the sender or nipple and cover the hole. That has happened to a few people when using the teflon tape at various other places.

Here are the 1/8 selections Napa shows for threads available in various senders they list. A lot of the list are duplicates or the same thing differently written so only 4 or 5 actual differences. No idea how many of those threads might be available in brass fittings but still enough to cause issues if mixed.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.88 KB)
209_5da89d2280dda.jpg 320X750 px

Posted on: 2019/10/17 11:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific Oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter/ Auburn style dash panel
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard. Just a heads up. All worked out well. No more oil leak. Thoughts on my Auburn style dash panel for 1954 Senior Packard's?

Attach file:

jpg  (324.25 KB)
201206_5dbc4c75d9969.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (212.43 KB)
201206_5dbc4c8d73579.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2019/11/1 10:18
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific Oil pressure sending unit 4 way brass tee adapter/ Auburn style dash panel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They are not bad. Are they all repros and I guess the next question would be what are you trying to accomplish and how do they look with the gauges. The two top ones appear to be different shades or is that something reflecting in the photo or because of the different pattern direction. If different then I like them both but choice would depend on the best complement to the gunmetal finish in the instruments. I would probably choose the horizontal pattern layout of the lighter lines you have with the center piece or the one in the cluster casting and it would get the edge over the slanted because it would go more with the center piece in the dash. The bottom piece with the vertical pattern looks more like the original and maybe goes with the vertical stripe motif in the section of casting below the speedo a bit better but none would be a total non starter as far as I am concerned.

Posted on: 2019/11/1 10:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
The top two are new. One is stainless steel and the other is aluminum. The bottom one is original. The diameter of the original gauges is 3.125 inches. The panel was held on simply by little clips behind on the chrome gauges rings. No adhesive or screws. I learned that the hard way. The new panels were made with gauge circles with a diameter of 3.40625 inches so as to fit directly over the original panel and gauge rings. Attaching it securely will be a challenge. Thoughts are welcome?

Posted on: 2019/11/1 11:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard. I hope you don't mind as you have been very helpful. I have pulled off a school boy error. Navigating to the correct forum has been a challenge for me. Any-who, I recently went through the warm weather/cold weather Carter WCFB 2112S flooding circus. All is well, pedal to the floor and ether....however, in the process I changed the plugs, coil and added a new rotor. Unfortunately I did not mark the location of the rotor. The engine bogs now at cruising rpm around 30mph-40mph. Bogging and pulling sensation. Aside from carb adjustments, carter wcfb trouble-shooting point to "defective distributor advance mechanism" hence the rotor. I assume the issue is caused by me not precisely aligning the new rotor. Since I did not mark the location of the rotor how do I now align it correctly? Is it as simple as pointing it to the number (1) plug/cylinder on the distributor?

Posted on: 2019/11/12 12:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming it is the correct new rotor and you did not turn the distributor in its mount to disturb the timing then I doubt rotor alignment is the issue. The rotor is keyed to the shaft and there is only one way the proper rotor will fit.

I would check that the vacuum advance is working and that the diaphragm did not develop a leak due to old hardened rubber cracking. That has happened to more than one person when bringing a car back to life after a lot of years. You can use a timing light although with the light it might be hard to distinguish between what changes you see to the timing might be from mechanical advance or vacuum advance. Another way is to disconnect the tubing at the carb or other convenient place and use suction from your mouth to see if there is any leakage. A more appropriate test would be to use something like a hand vacuum pump on the line to provide enough vacuum to make sure the advance moves the mechanism.

The centrifugal advance and particularly the weights could also be an issue. Make sure both pivot pins are lubricated and weights are free to pivot and are also securely fastened on the cam. Some distributors need a few drops of oil on a felt in the center of the shaft under the rotor to provide lube to the pivot pins so they don't dry out. Possibly one weight has stuck or one of the small springs used to calibrate and provide the means to keep them pulled in and return them inward when the engine slows has broken.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 13:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Here is a quick test of a vac advance. Leave it hooked up and attach a timing light in the usual manner. Find your mark while the engine is idling and then rev the engine up to 2500 or so. You will see the timing mark march quite far up and away from the pointer. Now snap the throttle shut. If the vac advance has been working properly the mark will drop back a good distance instantly, and then fall back the rest of the way as the revs drop. If it just leisurely walks back as the revs drop then the advance was not helping.

Posted on: 2019/11/12 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you. I'm on it. Stay tuned. Quick question........compatible 6 volt ignition coils......advan-tech, united, standard, duralast, napa, spectra, master pro all jive...car has delco-remy distributor/points. will a petronix flamethrower II coil be compatible even though I do not have a petronix ignitor? what brand with the tan top and made in usa sticker is the one I pulled out of the car? I noticed the secondary resistance on the old one was 1.5 ohms, the new standard coil i put in has both a lower primary and secondary resistance. could the lower resistance be tied to the car bogging at cruising rpm?

Posted on: 2019/11/14 11:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't speak for any of the coils you mention but the Napa IC-7 is a universal 6v coil that many have used to replace the stock 6v Packard coils in their cars. As far as I can recall there have been no issues reported with the Napa coils.

If the car has been converted to 12v then I have no suggestions other than a 12v coil and ballast resistor would have been needed. Some of the modern 12v coils have internal ballast resistors and can just hook up with the existing wiring while other coils will require an added external resistor such as Packard chose to do in their 55-6 models. If a coil had an internal resistor and there was also an external in the wiring that could cause some issues.

Posted on: 2019/11/14 13:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved