Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 60

Don 37, 37Blanche, r1lark, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 31 Stuck Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have had success freeing stuck valves using a product called 'Free-All' made in the US by the company Federal Process. I had a situation with an antique Chris-Craft wooden boat with a flathead six where all the 'usual remedies' had been tried and failed. It took a couple of good soakings but the valve let go and the ecstatic owner was never without a can of Free-All in his tool kit afterwards! I don't know what the active ingredient is in the product, that makes it so effective, but I have had it free threads and 'stuck things' many times over the years, when nothing else I tried would work. I know everyone has their own 'pet product' when it comes to rust breakers and thread lubricantss, etc., but Federal Process' product line is far and away the best I've come across. And, for the record, I am retired and have absolutely zero stake in promoting their products - just passing along 'what worked for me'. Chris

Posted on: 2019/11/23 14:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks for the suggestion. I backed off the engine a quarter of a turn, then I filled the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF. Then, I removed the carb and valve cover and endeavored to clean the valve area as best I could. I'm glad I did because I found a piece of wire from a wire wheel in there. I then soaked the where the valves pass up into the block and guides hoping I can get penetrant from underneath. While I had the access to the valves, I took note of which valves were open and closed and recorded it down. I let it go two weeks then report back.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 16:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Sounds like a good approach, without hurrying anything. Best of luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/23 20:22
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Success! After filling the engine with 2 gallons of a 50/50 mixture of diesel and ATF and waiting two weeks, the engine rotates without any problems. Whew! Now I just need to pull the manifolds to remove the excess mixture, but that is an easy job.

Posted on: 2019/12/8 17:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I can't tell you how happy I am that this is freed up, and I don't have to pull the whole thing apart.

Posted on: 2019/12/8 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations. Isn't that a wonderful feeling!

Posted on: 2019/12/8 19:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved