Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Clipper AC (Split Topic)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Wes. Believe that is the photo rather than an illustration I had remembered with a filter placed where the EC would go. Unfortunately none of the compressor bracket seems to have survived but there are the two bolt locations on the head which kind of gives some weight to the theory I mentioned earlier on how the bracket West posted might mount. Not having any other pieces or seeing other bolt locations just a guess though. Still makes me wonder what they did with the filter if both AC and EC were optioned such as might have happened on a high end model.

Posted on: 2019/11/22 13:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
This is a 1942 Clipper 120. The compressor bracket I posted earlier is from this exact car. It is a legitimate factory-ordered air-conditioned Clipper, possibly the only one left known to exist that was originally fitted. We sold the car in the mid-1980s to a fellow in Ohio. The car had about 40,000 miles on it at the time. Apparently, it sat outdoors for the next 30 years. A true shame.

After seeing this engine compartment shot again, I'm going to take a WAG and say that the illustration posted further back is not correct in the way the 1942 compressor was attached. I'm guessing that the compressor may have been mounted to the side of the engine (sideways), or possibly to the chassis.

Attach file:

jpg  (265.29 KB)
404_5dd850376c3ea.jpg 1920X1436 px

jpg  (200.43 KB)
404_5dd8504553364.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/11/22 16:18
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the Clipper compressor mounting is going to be one of those unanswered questions until a photo or details of the 42 AC Clippers show up.

The compressor in the supposed 42 MacArthur car detailed in the SIA article appears to be base mounted and compressor appears to be sticking above the engine. A quick measurement of my 47 and there is approx 11" from the top of the engine to the top of the radiator. Compressor hoses are mounted off the side so with probably another inch or two above the radiator for hood clearance it might accept as high as 11" vertically on the compressor. No idea what height the prewar compressors have.

EDIT: I answered part of the question with a photo from the Detroit Auto collection. Compressor does not mount to the side of the block but bracket is bolted flat to the head with compressor extended out toward the fender. Unfortunately there is not enough of the bracket visible to see what else is involved and missing from the part of the bracket West posted nor a precise height of the compressor vs top of engine and top of radiator. Top of compressor does look to be below the top of the radiator at about the height of the upper hose and there is a portion of the bracket that extends rearward on the head to what appears to be a head bolt.https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A186980

Posted on: 2019/11/22 17:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just saw this on youtube. 1940 180 Packard missing its compressor.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (125.60 KB)
1003_5ddab61f02032.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/11/24 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Wow...Slowly, the mystery is being solved. Most interesting how information flies around the internet! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/11/24 12:13
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bracket for the conventional body cars is quite different from the partial Clipper bracket West posted. For starters the conventional bracket is all one piece. A partial 3/4 rear view photo of a a complete Clipper bracket with compressor mounted is on the Detroit library site.https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A186980 We can only hope another view or two will come along to get a better idea of what might be supporting the bracket on the end away from the engine and how the rear reinforcement is fastened. Compressor height difference above the engine with the conventional vs Clipper bracket looks to be about 2" less on the Clipper.

Also including a photo of the 356 engine fan pulley that was repro'd some years back showing the compressor drive groove as compared to the non AC fan pulley. A spacer behind the fan is needed with the drive pulley to move the fan away from the compressor belt.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.65 KB)
209_5ddac3de1e9d8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (88.78 KB)
209_5ddac97e8ee78.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (23.95 KB)
209_5ddac98975126.jpg 758X259 px

Posted on: 2019/11/24 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Fantastic find on that historical photo, Howard. It is interesting to note, however, that it contains a completely different bracket than the one I have, PLUS, the compressor itself is different, as the bolts to mount it go into the side, rather than the bottom.

Posted on: 2019/11/24 15:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
West Peterson, did you notice in that link Howard sent that there are more pictues and it shows your compressor with a label you don't have on your compressor. Here's the link with a few more pictures posted.

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/search?f%5B0%5D=mods_subject_topic_ms%3A%22Packard%20automobile--Air%20conditioning%22

Wes

Posted on: 2019/11/24 15:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The date on the photo being August 41 would make you think that was a 42 unit but you are correct in that there are some differences with the other Clipper bracket and neither bracket looks like the illustration in the 41 parts book.

Two other photos I found interesting are those of what appears to be a prewar unit they must have been experimenting with. No idea if heating or cooling but since I don't see a compressor it might have been heat only. It looks like some kind of blower might have been engine operated because the ducting to the large box on the firewall is so large. The hoses going into the side don't really look like refrigeration stuff. If it was some kind of AC and the compressor is not seen or maybe a combo unit like the 40 trunk unit it was definitely bulky and sure would have made engine service challenging. I would bet the noise made by the blower was significant.

Posted on: 2019/11/24 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Are they using the same bolts as the upper radiator hose housing??

Posted on: 2019/11/24 16:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved