Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Low Compression on Cylinder 4
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I just finished a compression test on my 1946 Clipper.

The compression range was 70-85 PSI across all the cylinders except cylinder 4 was 45. When I put oil in the cylinders, compression went up to 85-90 across the cylinders but Cylinder 4 stayed at 45. My understanding is this points to a valve issue or head gasket.

Is there anything I can try with the valves specific to this cylinder before ripping everything apart for a rebuild?

Posted on: 2019/11/25 10:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Low Compression on Cylinder 4
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming you have a 282 engine; make sure you have some valve lifter clearance on both valves. In other words, just make sure lifter adjustment isn't keeping a valve from closing completely.

That an adjacent cylinder doesn't also have low compression suggests (but doesn't prove) that it's a valve problem and not a headgasket issue. You could pressurize the cylinder with compressed air and listen carefully to identify where the loss is coming from.

Posted on: 2019/11/25 12:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Low Compression on Cylinder 4
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thank You. That is the information I was looking for. I assisted with doing a valve job on this car with my Dad about 40 years ago. I am going to have to do a little research to remember the process, if the gap was set wrong back then, it was probably my fault.

Posted on: 2019/11/26 17:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved