Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Quick Tool Survey for all 1940 Packards
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wowabunga
See User information
Which one of these OEM correct jacks are in the trunk of your car ? Both examples pictured I matched up with the Packard Tool Guide published by Reedy & Shaub.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2019/12/7 4:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Quick Tool Survey for all 1940 Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Someone posted or sent me the picture of the correct jack, the green one. When I received the car in 1959 it had the black screw jack in this photo and the long fold up crank. The jack disappeared at some point and so I looked at swap meets until I found one that match. Of course it is incorrect for my '40 160. So now I could look for the correct green one, but I have that long handle which reaches to the pumpkin. I also carry a jack stand in case I have to get under the chassis.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.09 KB)
1067_5dec2a1c75509.jpg 500X753 px

jpg  (75.25 KB)
1067_5dec2af3df43e.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2019/12/7 17:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the 351257 jack for the junior cars a somewhat flimsy looking bumper jack or is it a wheel rim jack. It looks to be similar to a jack mentioned in an earlier thread where someone posted photos of a wheel rim jack and a Packard bit saying to check owners manuals for operation. There is nothing on jack use that I found mentioned in the 40 and 41 110-120 owners manuals. There is a different style wheel rim jack shown with instructions in the 42 Clipper manual.

Something I am curious about is the additional jack stand that would seem to be necessary for the wheel rim type. Was that part of the included jack accessory or something a customer had to provide and does the jack book have photos of everything that was included with the rim types?

At a quick observation it would seem the rim type has more pieces and is more complicated than the jack shown for senior models so logically would be more expensive. Am curious what the reason might have been that it was limited to certain models or the less expensive cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.45 KB)
209_5dec39aa8956a.jpg 680X720 px

Posted on: 2019/12/7 18:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wowabunga
See User information
The #351257 jack is a bumper jack that lifts the bumper.

From 1938 thru about 1941 many major automakers were using these "pole jacks" that were either operated with a screw post as seen here, or they used a friction pole setup. The Cords used a near similar jack that is EXTREMELY rare. Rare because the jacks were worthless in lifting the heavy cars and were tossed.

I've been in corespondance with Mr Reedy who co-wrote the Packard Tool Guide. He tells me most of the 351257 jacks were tossed because they just didn't do the job. Mr Reedy tells me he's owned two 1940 Packards and both cars came with this jack 351257 in the trunk.

As someone who has gathered over 700 photos of old jacks... I've only seen one of these 351257 jacks on eBay, and have never seen any posted in online discussion. And I've never seen one of these jacks at Hershey either. A rare bird ?

As far as the 1941-42 rim jack with the matching jack stand... I'd rather run with scissors blindfolded than use one of those widow maker death combos...!!!

( note that the 316584 jack uses a folding handle as pictured by JoeSantana )

Posted on: 2019/12/7 22:45
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pacdon
See User information
The 351257 was a 1940 only bumper jack.It came with the 110's and 120's.
The 1941 Packards came with the hub which included the jack stands. Two different stands were used. One for the Junior cars and another for the Seniors. The 41 & 42 Clippers came with rim jack and included the junior jack stand.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Neither, I just bought a 2ton bottle type screw jack at Napa and used it.
Ps, I no longer have the 1940 Packard.
Looking for a 1937-40 2door coupe.
or a 51-54 clipper custom.
thanks for asking
sorry I cannot be of help.
John Miller

Posted on: 2019/12/9 14:22
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wowabunga
See User information
>> Neither, I just bought a 2ton bottle type screw jack at Napa and used it <<

Somewhere out there... is a Rambler Station Wagon with a Packard Jack in it that doesn't belong there. Wagon owner Jimmy swears it's a original but confesses under pressure he bought the wagon off some Grateful Dead roadies.

I tracked the roadies down, they admit up front their memory is somewhat of a foggy soup, rolling their eyes one of them thinks they pulled the jack from a parted out 50's Studebaker Truck but the guy with the truck owned a Cadillac Dealership and adored Cadillacs, but Caddy Joe didn't adore his wife enough so she divorced him taking all the Caddys, leaving him with a rust-bucket Buick 88. Not to change the subject but I saw a guy on eBay this week tried to sell a common Buick 88 jack but it's really a even more common Toyota jack... what a mess.

The roadies got sidetracked with the word "dealer" and forgot how the conversation started. Does our story end here HECK NO. I could Ramble on and on about jacks all day... but in the interest of peace and tranquility I'll just leave here today with words from the heart:

All over the fruited plains there are dusty old jacks in barns and sheds, misplaced in the wrong trunks, and yes up for sale with the seller swearing to you that "up" is really "down" and this Metropolitan jack absolutely fits your Packard...! With years of research piling up, it appears to be my calling to publish a ID Guide for old car and truck jacks all in the effort to help these wayward jacks find their way back home.

Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
Ralmbin Randy

Disclaimer: All names are fictitious and my stories greatly exaggerated... but I really do own a 65 Rambler Wagon plastered with Grateful Dead stickers.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 15:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
or a 51-54 clipper custom

There was no such thing as a Clipper Custom in those years. In fact, there were no Clippers at all in 1951 and 1952! The last Clipper was 1947 and the name wasn't used again until 1953 and the top of the Clipper line was the Deluxe. The first Clipper Custom was in 1955 and by then the Deluxe was the bottom of the Clipper line with the Super between the two.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 18:45
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wowabunga
See User information
Is there a go to reference page with a listing of all the years and models of Packards..? When I need to do research I usually go to Wikipedia and they "usually" have a decent flow chart of years and models.

PackardDon, I'm holding your very nice Packard Tools ID Guide in my hands and it notes the #351257 bumper jack came with 1800, 1801 and some 1803 Packards. Here in this discussion you note the #351257 came with the 110 and 120 Packards. To a long time Packard fan I'm sure this all makes sense... for me I'm sifting thru it and taking notes working to stay with the conversation.

A family tree styled reference page would be nice. I do have a collection of Hollander Salvage Yard interchange books and they have a nice make/model breakdown in the index.

Thanks for all the help everyone...!

Ramblin Randy

Posted on: 2019/12/9 22:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think you've mistaken me for pacdon who is someone else as I've never produced such a guide.

Posted on: 2019/12/10 2:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved