Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Which parts get what color?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
I'm getting near ready to begin painting my '38 opera window coupe. I'm going with a dark blue and am wondering if the body color should extend to under the fenders. under the body, firewall, and inside the car. Also, should the frame be gloss or semi-gloss black. I'm not trying to restore to concours condition but may as well paint correctly. Thanks, Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (354.39 KB)
144730_5dee69f512ad5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/9 10:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Which parts get what color?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Normally, the firewall and door jambs are the exterior colors. Not sure about the underneath. The frame I would assume to be black.
But someone that has this year Packard can better answer your questions.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
While Packard did not use the term, your body style is sometimes called an "opera coupe." Nothing to do with "opera windows" like in the 1970's, rather refers to the folding rear seats that were for short rides like going to the opera.

I applaud your "might as well do it right" approach.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I hope you start a blog of the work as these things are always fun to watch and will help others in the future, Also, as you go along and have questions they ant the answers can all be part of the thread.

The "might as well do it right" is what I always try to do too!

Posted on: 2019/12/9 11:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Frames were made by A. O. Smith and painted with a very cheap semi-gloss black paint. A couple of runs or sags would be typical of the quality of that paintwork.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 13:05
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
I appreciate the responses and with it the new knowledge. I didn't know that my car was called an opera coupe. I assumed the opera windows and not the rear seats that face each other were the reasons it was called an opera coupe.. I also learned I should paint my car with cheap paint with some runs and sags! My problem is being past 60, my brain is full. So learning these new facts has caused 2 other bits of knowledge to jump out to make room. I am hoping it wasn't something important that I forgot.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 18:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You misunderstood me, it was the FRAME that was painted without much care and with cheap paint. The body of the car was painted with high quality Rinshed Mason lacquer paint, applied with much skill.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 18:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Would the frames have been sprayed or dipped do you think?

Posted on: 2019/12/9 20:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting question ptv, can't say I ever thought about that and don't have a clue. But if someone told me they were dipped, I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 21:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Owen, Does RM still make the high quality lacquer as used on Packards in the 1930s? I see the company is still in business as a brand of BASF.

Posted on: 2019/12/10 19:06
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved