Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Help with Loud Ticking (video included)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
I experience overheating due to radiator leaks to the extent that the radiator purged fluid from the cap. After braising the holes and starting the engine I now have a loud ticking.

Here are two videos, the first shows the ticking immediately after starting and the second shows the ticking while idling

I've read that lifter ticking is not uncommon but I am unsure if this is lifter ticking, Can anyone advise what this noise may be and how to diagnose?

Ticking at start up:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UgaC3l_rD53u0w63cvITtj3A#Venice,_CA

Ticking at idle:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/040_SF3JiIlgdjJRwXEyIbacQ#Venice,_CA

Thanks!

Posted on: 2019/12/12 17:04
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with Loud Ticking (video included)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sounds rather loud for a lifter, but that might just be the video. In any event, it should pump up on its own after a few minutes.

Posted on: 2019/12/12 22:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
@Ross: it is louder than videos I have watched that document a lifter noise - Thats why I am wondering if it may be something else

Posted on: 2019/12/12 22:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Listening a few more times, it seems it is at crankshaft speed. Relatively high pitch indicates it is not bottom end.
And it was not present before the overheating and subsequent work? Any chance something fell down a plug hole?

Posted on: 2019/12/13 7:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Hi Ross,

Not that I can think of, the only items I had open that something could have fallen into would be the thermostat opening or the radiator, and the firewall where the starter is mounted but I didn't have anything go missing during those repairs...

Before this the engine had no ticking.

I'm beginning to take some compression readings and when cranking by hand I'm hearing a something that is kind of like a whistling vibration noise that was not there before when i hand cranked it.

Thanks for taking the time to give it another listen.

I have a clip below of the sound while pushing the gas pedal - any suggestions welcome!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KlWKrEibuiiexeQ8ffGjSyzA#Venice,_CA

Quote:

Ross wrote:
Listening a few more times, it seems it is at crankshaft speed. Relatively high pitch indicates it is not bottom end.
And it was not present before the overheating and subsequent work? Any chance something fell down a plug hole?

Posted on: 2019/12/13 10:26
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Jason

It sounds to me like an exhaust leak between the manifold and the block.

John

Posted on: 2019/12/13 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Fan is hitting the generator pulley. Take the belt off and try.

Posted on: 2019/12/13 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'll look into how to diagnose that!

Posted on: 2019/12/13 21:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Hi Ross,

I don't see the fan making contact with the pulley. I did the dry compression test this afternoon and while doing so I began thinking about your idea that it sounds like something may have fallen into a cylinder. I realized that perhaps I was missing a 3/8" nut that connects the ignition wire to the starter and that if something were to have fallen into the cylinder the only one I could see this happening in based on my workflow would be #7.

Well wouldn't you know it, when i compression tested #7 I did hear a very odd noise that potentially resembled a 3/8" nut. If this is true would it impact my compression results? I ask because the numbers (below) were better than I expected

I'm assuming the only way to see if something was dropped in the cylinder is to remove the head?

Dry compression
1 - 120
2 - 90
3 -120
4 - 118
5 - 119
6 - 120
7 - 120
8 - 120

Posted on: 2019/12/13 21:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
The reason I think there is potential to have dropped a 3/8" nut in the cylinder is because when I was working on the starter, I set the 3/8" nut that fastens to ignition wire to the starter terminal on the engine. When I went to reinstall the starter, the nut wasn't there. I thought it had dropped off the engine, or that I had dropped in on the ground

I planned on doing a wet compression test today, but now in fear of turning the engine over and causing more damage I am hesitant to do so.

Since my compression tests are good, is it safe to assume that nothing was damaged if I did drop a nut in the cylinder and thus, if I can able to extract the nut with a magnet removing the head cover is not needed?

And since the dry compression looks so good does it make sense to still do a leak down test (which I also planned for today)?

Posted on: 2019/12/14 9:58
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved