Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Display
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here is a period photo of a display chassis, and the one currently undergoing restoration here in New Jersey, these current photos by this writer from a few weeks ago. The chassis has the noteworthy 1956 features of pushbutton electric shift and aluminum case Twin Ultramatic, but still retains some 1955 details, for example the 1955 type rear axle assembly. There are many interesting details; all the various dates and numbers have been carefully ground from the engine castings and the only internal part is the crankshaft. The only internal parts in the brake assemblies are the wheel cylinders.

Enjoy the photos, I suspect the chassis is or will shortly be on its way to the Proving Grounds. Be glad to answer any questions if I can. It certainly has been a treat to participate, even in a very minor way, in this restoration project and my thanks to Mr. Ole Book for including me.

Attach file:

jpg  (295.71 KB)
177_5e04bf0b738cb.jpg 1713X1920 px

jpg  (336.69 KB)
177_5e04bf1aaa940.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (317.28 KB)
177_5e04bf31c2204.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (341.92 KB)
177_5e04bf45c8181.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (267.03 KB)
177_5e04bf55da0c7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/26 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder how much they had to redesign the frame for the new suspension over the old 1951-54 frame?

Posted on: 2019/12/26 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Here is a period photo of a display chassis, and the one currently undergoing restoration here in New Jersey, these current photos by this writer from a few weeks ago. The chassis has the noteworthy 1956 features of pushbutton electric shift and aluminum case Twin Ultramatic, but still retains some 1955 details, for example the 1955 type rear axle assembly. There are many interesting details; all the various dates and numbers have been carefully ground from the engine castings and the only internal part is the crankshaft. The only internal parts in the brake assemblies are the wheel cylinders.

Enjoy the photos, I suspect the chassis is or will shortly be on its way to the Proving Grounds. Be glad to answer any questions if I can.

Great photos. I recognize what looks like Fred Pittera with the trophies that obviously came from the same source as the 1952 New York International Sports Car Show given to Packard Pan American.

As for details, I see the transmission oil cooler is still a 1955 type. Also, according to Ole Book, the new restoration features an exhaust system made of highly polished stainless steel. The original (1956 version) had a chromed exhaust system.

Thanks for the posting.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious about what they did to be able to have the system work for demonstration but not need the weight of the body. Was it special bars or did they just not twist or index a standard set to the degree the body weight needed. Is any extra weight added into the frame at the rear to help balance the engine weight? In the period photo there almost looks like some kind of box might be on the frame behind the two people.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
That is a neat photo of the frame.

It looks like it's on a dynamo, or the rear wheel looks like it.

I can't read the plaques on the trophies very well, one looks like is says Packard Four Hundred.
What were they for?
Are the trophies still around?

It looks like there is a stripe or line on the long bar, I assume to show the twist when the system is working?

There is something printed on the box behind the two men, I can not make out what it says.

Here is the 55 frame at an auto show.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/101.jpg

Would this have been what was shown with the frame display?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz0RZUySk0&app=desktop

Attach file:

jpeg  (138.22 KB)
1220_5e0516eac35e3.jpeg 1022X830 px

Posted on: 2019/12/26 15:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
We (Packard owners) are indebted to Ole Book for husbanding this project. And a large thanks for any Packard people who participated in this endeavor.
Thank you Mr. Book.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
That is a neat photo of the frame.

It looks like it's on a dynamo, or the rear wheel looks like it.

I can't read the plaques on the trophies very well, one looks like is says Packard Four Hundred.
What were they for?
Are the trophies still around?

It looks like there is a stripe or line on the long bar, I assume to show the twist when the system is working?

There is something printed on the box behind the two men, I can not make out what it says.

Here is the 55 frame at an auto show.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/101.jpg

Would this have been what was shown with the frame display?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz0RZUySk0&app=desktop

No idea what happened to the trophies but they were displayed for a time in the factory showroom in the plant on East Grand Blvd. I believe the trophies were awarded in New York at the successor show to the International Motor Sport Show (see the Pan American story in The Packard Cormorant magazine). Which also begs the bigger question of what happened to the huge trophy that was awarded to the Pan American?

Note that the 1955 display chassis had at least two incarnations:
1.) Black air cleaner and other details with pre-1955 wheel covers with cloisonne centers
2.) Chromed air cleaner and other details with 1955 wheel covers

The chassis was re-vamped again for 1956 and push-button shift was included with full aluminum housing Ultramatic transmission and other detail changes.

The movie short here was keyed toward sales personnel, but the one used at auto shows was geared toward customers/buyers and had a different producer as I recall.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 17:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you enlarge the B&W photo I posted in #11, most all the copy on the two trophies becomes quite legible.

Posted on: 2019/12/26 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,
Thanks for all the photos.

You have much younger eyes than me!
My eyePad, I can make out some, but not all.

Looks like,
International Award of Merit
For
Individuality
Of styling and design in the luxury
Car field

To
The Packard Four Hundred

Presented ?.??.. by the third annual
Madison Square Garden. Universal Travel
New York, New York. Auto Sports Show

OD
Is that close?

Posted on: 2019/12/26 19:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote: I am curious about what they did to be able to have the system work for demonstration but not need the weight of the body. Was it special bars or did they just not twist or index a standard set to the degree the body weight needed. Is any extra weight added into the frame at the rear to help balance the engine weight?....
Howard,

When Hank(cli55er) did the frame off restoration on his '55 Clipper Constellation the chassis was completed aome time before he attended to the body and the rest of the car. From memory he took the completed Chassis to the Annual Texas Packard Meet on at least one occassion. Maybe the answer to your question is in Henry's 55 Constellation Project Blog?

Posted on: 2019/12/26 19:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved