Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Exhaust Options
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Looking to replace my exhaust system on my '55 Patrician. Per the previous owner it was new in 1974, so I think it's beyond its useful lifespan lol

It's clanking about and has some holes. I was debating patching it but when I got under there there passenger side resonator is just shot. Looks like Kanter and Max don't offer the replacements anymore.

Posted on: 2019/12/29 11:37
 Top  Print 

Re: Exhaust Options
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suggest you contact Waldron Exhaust.

Posted on: 2019/12/29 12:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Awesome, thanks. So a silly question or two:

1. Why offer stainless and aluminum options? What's the value of each?

2. I was debating replacing the exhaust myself or just bringing the parts to a shop to do for me - anyone have any experience with this one way or the other?

Posted on: 2019/12/30 14:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You probably mean aluminized, as in aluminized steel. I'm not aware of any aluminum exhaust systems.

Stainless is more expensive, lasts forever, difficult to work if small adjustments are needed, and is generally known to give a rather metallic, non-authentic tonal quality.

Aluminized steel is less expensive, probably has a useful life of 10-20 years, easier to rework if needed, and gives an OEM tonal quality result, or more so than stainless often does.

Posted on: 2019/12/30 16:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Bought resonator for my 1955 400 from Waldron a few years ago. Very nice quality. Well made.

Posted on: 2019/12/30 16:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ah, got it. Well I'd rather have it sound right so aluminized it is. Now is this something I should attempt on my own or just have someone else perform? Or is this the perfect excuse to beg my other half to let me have a lift in the garage

Posted on: 2019/12/30 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you have a shop do it, be sure they use proper clamps rather than welding. Most prefer the latter but if you need to replace anything later on, you're rather stuck with taking it to a shop again.

Posted on: 2019/12/31 0:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also be aware that even if you install the premade system yourself, with the number of pieces and joints it still may need to go to a shop and have a bend tweaked a tiny bit so a joint will line up properly.

Posted on: 2019/12/31 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning and Happy New Year To All...We had a local muffler shop do Miss Prudence a few years ago...The fellow listened to Prudence who had a strange muffler at the time. One that had a pipe going in on the left and out on the right. The exhaust sound was a bit odd. We found a spot on this site with a video of a 1949 running and the muffler guy said 'OK, now I understand'. We ended up with a 36" glass-pack muffler and nicely made tubing from just below the exhaust/muffler connection and on out to the back of the car. To me it sounds just about like David Packard's 48 Packard which lives around the corner from us. It's not Packard perfect but nice and new and certainly good enough for an old girl trundling around in Scottsdale, Arizona. An added benefit...the car runs a bit cooler with this set up...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/12/31 10:59
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I have a question
Looked on the Waldron website, they offer dual exhaust systems for Patrician & Caribbean’s but not clippers. Was the executive built on the clipper frame?
What would the major difference be? Length?

Posted on: 2021/2/5 20:44
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved