Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 120 cam gear and crank gear removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

GuyDeGennaro
See User information
I have a 120 which the head has been off for about 8 years, the reason it was taken apart was that the valves would go up and not come down. I have the engine out of the car, finally got the pistons out,by the way there is no ridge in the cylinders. I only want to do this once, where do I go from here ? My thought is to have the crank turned, hone out the cylinders, if with in tolerance use standard rings and whatever the crank is cut use the correct bearings. Should I also get the deck machined and the head. Should the pistons and valves be replaced also? What about the cam bearings and valve guides? Should I also have the intake and exhaust manifolds and block resurfaced? The car was running about 8 years ago, an electric fuel pump was put on ,however I want to get the original pump rebuilt, any ideas on who can rebuilt that or is there a kit so I can do it myself? I know I will have more question along the way, any help would be greatly welcomed.

Posted on: 2019/12/27 12:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 120 cam gear and crank gear removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
GuyDeGennaro too bad the engine was disassembled so long ago. I hope that the engine, head, intake and carb were sufficiently preserved to protect the parts. I don't think you can pick and choose what needs to be done now, in my estimation everything needs to be done. But wait there's more, the heavy hitters will try and help you out with their expertise. Good luck.

Posted on: 2019/12/27 12:54
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think it comes down to measurements to know what it needs. Measuring the cylinder for wear and also taper, measuring the mains and rods for size and out of roundness etc.. Valve guides and valve stems for wear. Valves may be able to be reconditioned unless the stems are worn.
I wonder about the cylinders not having any ridge? Either very low mileage on the engine or they have had the ridge removed before or the cylinders have already been bore to a larger size.
John

Posted on: 2019/12/27 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day GuyDeGennaro,
to PackardInfo and, I invite you to include your '40 120 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/12/27 17:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Guy Gennaro,
Welcome to Packard Info. Re your car/questions, I sure agree with John (PTV) that some careful mic'ing & measuring is in order. With no cylinder ridge, you may well have had some machining done prior to your disassembly of the engine. That may help when it comes to 'the list' of things that you end up having to do. Re the fuel pump, rebuilts are available through our 'standard' Packard vendors; I would give Kanter or Max Merritt a call and they can help or direct you. Those with way more knowledge and experience than I, will no doubt weigh in with good advice. My mantra with the approach on all this is: 'all you have to know is what you DON'T KNOW' and when you get to that point, get some help. The other maxim through all this 'old car stuff' (at least what I've figured out) is the right way is usually the harder and more expensive route, but in the long run - well worth it. Halfway jobs, 'Band-aids' and 'carnival fixes' CAN work for a time, but doing it right the first time around generally gives a longer-lasting and more reliable result. Good luck, Chris.

Posted on: 2019/12/27 21:34
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Since you've pulled motor and gone this far you might as well go through everything. Previous to pulling motor I would have suggested freeing valves, reinstalling head and checking a running motor.
Did the car sit for a long time before head being removed?

Posted on: 2019/12/29 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
My39 Six issues started when I diagnosed it as a bad wrist pin on cylinder #3. I was close, bad wrist pin bearing (almost worn thru) and as I progressed to look at bearings, found # 5 top ring shattered in 7 pieces and #6 in 3 pieces. Long story short, had engine completely rebuilt, crank reground, cam reground, cylinders rebored everything else is new, pistons, rings, guides and valves from Egge, not sure where rebuilder bought chain and bushings but certain it is top notch as builder is very reputable in this area. When I fired her up a couple of weeks ago, couldn't be happier with sound and knowing that in my lifetime the engine will last and be passed onto my kids.

My advice, do it once and rest knowing that the engine will last your lifetime

Posted on: 2019/12/29 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Same on my 40 120. Started with a sticking or burned valve that led to pulling the motor and doing complete rebuild. I think I bored it .20 over and actually found a set of oem Packard pistons to go along with everything else new such as, bearings, valves, guides, springs, timing chain & gears, distributor bushings, oil pump gear set, fuel pump. The list goes on when you start.

Attach file:

jpeg  (192.48 KB)
2249_5e09faa942b2d.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/30 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Fine art JT120. Great picture

Posted on: 2019/12/31 14:58
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved