Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Website Issues
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like the provider was able to figure out the problem and restore the correct image. We should be back up will all data recovered. Thanks for your patience!

Posted on: 2020/1/6 19:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Website Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good job! I always keep a local copy of all my databases along with a running version of the sites but I imagine that the PackardInfo.com database is so large and so dynamic as to make such things difficult, if not impossible. I'm sure we all appreciate all your hard work and I can't imagine the panic and grief this must have caused you. Well done!

Posted on: 2020/1/6 20:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sorry for the outage again. The same problem as yesterday happened again last night. Let's just say I wasn't very happy with the provider and they got an earful. Once is a mistake, twice is incompetence

Basically in a nutshell. Last April they migrated my VPS to a new faster server stack, and supposedly decommissioned the old VPS server stack. Twice now someone has powered up that old server which then assumes the IP address and the website traffic is redirected to that old "copy" of the VPS server. Hence why the website kept going "back in time". So no data was lost, it was just pointing at this ghost from the past. I asked to wipe the old VPS from that "decommissioned" server so it doesn't happen again.

My server stack is based in the USA, but my provider is based in New Zealand. So when I find an issue, there is a time difference.

Hopefully I dont wake up to the same issue again.

Posted on: 2020/1/7 17:15
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Kev

Thanks for working through the issue, glad it has been resolved. Thanks too for all your hard work to provide us with this wonderful site. We don't say that often enough.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/1/7 17:33
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Glad it is fixed. I was beginning to get the shakes from withdraw symptoms of not having access to Packardinfo.....

Posted on: 2020/1/7 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, Thank you Big Kev for your time, talents and effort to get us 'back up'. It's a great resource - much appreciated by all users. I echo Steve's remark that we don't voice our appreciation often enough! Chris

Posted on: 2020/1/7 18:55
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thank you everyone for your support!

The website made it through the night without experiencing a "time-warp", so we (finger crossed) should be all good now.

Posted on: 2020/1/8 10:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On another note, for those techo-nerds out there who are interested. I now have a CRON job setup to backup the database daily, which should then cause the backup to be downloaded daily with my normal FTP sync. That backup then gets locally backup onto my time-machine drive. So god forbid something really happens, I have everything to restore the complete website.

Posted on: 2020/1/8 13:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Well done and many thanks, Kev. You are very appreciated and I am grateful for this site.
Pat

Posted on: 2020/1/8 14:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved