Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch grinding
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
Hello all,

I can't begin to explain how valuable you all have been helping me through my 36 120 restoration. With that I have another question. When I engage first or reverse my clutch grinds. Now, if I engage clutch pedal, Hold it for 2 or three seconds before going into first it does NOT grind. Same thing if I hold clutch down, rev the engine, then I can engage first fine with no grinding. Is this a symptom of something sticking or is something broken? Clutch/ Transmissions are not my strength. Keep it mind the car has been sitting for 10 plus years and I am just now driving it again.

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2020/1/13 18:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Clutch grinding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Clutches don't grind, the grinding you are hearing is no doubt coming from the transmission. Could be any of several causes, let's look at two common ones. Have you checked the transmission for lubricant fill, and what type of gear oil (viscosity primarily) are you using? Heavier oils allow quicker engagement by reducing gear rotation more quickly.

Second, how much clutch pedal free play is present? If it's much more than an inch or so, the clutch may not be fully disengaged when the pedal hits the stop at the toe board so you have a "dragging" clutch.

Lastly, any transmission of the type in your car can grind transmission gears on engagement from neutral to 1st or Reverse if you shift too quickly, before the rotating gears have had a chance to come to rest.

Posted on: 2020/1/13 19:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
thank you for you reply, i should have been more specific. While the car is not moving is when the gear grinds. Maybe i can use a heavier gear oil.

Posted on: 2020/1/13 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi USMC1936,

Dave's (Owen_Dyneto) last comment is likely what you're experiencing. There is no synchro in 1st or rev. in these transmissions, so stopped OR moving, you must wait a couple of secs after the clutch pedal is depressed to let the gears stop spinning and allow a grind-free shift. If the car is stopped and the transmission is in neutral, clutch pedal out, the gears are turning the same as if you were moving, in gear at that idle speed. Once you disengage the clutch (push the pedal in) the tranny internals come to a halt quite quickly, you just have to wait for them. The correct weight and amount of oil in the gearcase is also a contributing factor and worth checking as suggested. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/14 2:42
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I have the habit when I'm at a standstill of shifting into 2nd, then into first. I think I'm slowing the gears down doing that. Whatever it is, it prevents any grinding of gears.

Posted on: 2020/1/14 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Joe, I do the same thing. Shift into second gear at standstill, then first
That uses the synchro of second gear to slow and stop the input shaft of the trans.

Posted on: 2020/1/14 16:20
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Joe & Mike (Tobs) That's a good idea, I'm going to try and make that a habit. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/14 19:31
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Usmc1936
See User information
Thank y'all for your input. I tried putting it in second before engaging first and it seemed to work wonderfully. I guess I don't know the ins and outs of driving vehicle that old just yet. I'm over here acting like the transmission should respond like a modern manual tranny does! Lol

Posted on: 2020/1/14 22:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
'Ernie in Arizona' always has sage advice. I always liked his
post to someone in your shoes, just 'learning' their 'new' car:
"Good afternoon...It often takes a good few trips around the block to get a 'New' Packard sorted out so that you trust the old girl...they really do want to please you...you just have to listen and observe and make the necessary changes and repairs one at a time until you are happy with her and she with you! Ernie in Arizona"

Posted on: 2020/1/15 2:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved