Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vacum canisters for 1940 convertible top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
to all I am very lucky to still have my vacuum top work on my 40 110 convertible. Does any one have any diagram or pictures for the maintenance of the vacuum canisters. The top is starting to operate much slower, I am still getting good vacuum from the engine and I read some ware that the canisters can be rebuilt. Thanks Vin

Posted on: 2015/9/21 11:45
 Top  Print 

Re: vacum canisters for 1940 convertible top
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The cylinder seals are probably just begging for something to lubricate the piston seals; if original they may well be leather and Neatsfoot oil was the classic of the time though were it mine I'd probably use something modern like Mobil's vacuum pump oil - same stuff I use in the vacuum brake booster system on the '34.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 12:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
thank you for the advice. have you ever taken the vacuum cylinders apart? Is it best to just put some oil on the shaft or try to lube the leather? Thanks again. Vin

Posted on: 2015/9/23 15:55
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Shropshire
See User information
Same problem, looking to replace the Leathers and wipers any parts out there and or where to go.?
Have 1940 110 Convertible

Posted on: 2020/1/16 9:37
Paul Shrop
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The shafts were rusted on my 42, and I had to have new ones made. I sanded the inside of the cylinders and replaced the leather with some Elk hide I had, also as I remember I replaced the shaft seals with modern seals. O-D has the right idea on the oil. Not hard to rebuild, but would first just lube as O-D suggested.

Posted on: 2020/1/16 17:51

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Shropshire
See User information
I have the same Can's, leather wipers, going to replace them with the Electric one's Vac system was very slow.

Posted on: 2021/9/7 19:35
Paul Shrop
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
going to replace them with the Electric one's

Just curious if you meant you are thinking of converting to hydraulic cylinders with a 6v electric pump or were you going with a pair of some type one piece linear screw actuator.

Posted on: 2021/9/7 19:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved