Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Autolite vs Delco ignition coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Auto-lite ignition coil # CR 400lA
Delco-Remy ignition coil #1115376

RE: 1951 Packard 200
6V pos. ground

My question is if the system type, AutoLite, Delco, is not known and the coil specs not available what if anything would happen if a delco R. coil were replaced with a Autolite coil and visa-versa.

Posted on: 2020/2/13 11:58
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Autolite vs Delco ignition coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Steve:

I believe the two coils are equivalent, meaning electrically equivalent. The primary winding resistance of 1.5Ω would be typical, but likewise I do not know the turn ratio of either coil. I know of one difference, namely; The Delco coil does NOT have an integral hold-down bracket, while the AutoLite unit does. If you try to replace an AutoLite coil with a plain coil (typical of the Delco design or Pertronix), then a hold down bracket will need to be sourced. I've also noted that older coils tend to have the primary binding posts closer together, and not on the centerline, but that would not affect the interchangeability. Take a look at the parts book, specifically group 4.12032.

dp

Posted on: 2020/2/13 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the 6v coils, electrically I think either will work satisfactorily but for 55-6 models with 12v coils there is a difference in the external ballast resistors between the two. That might present a problem in performance so anyone contemplating a change would probably need to ensure the correct resistance is present for the coil being used. Specs on the two resistors are in the service manual..

Posted on: 2020/2/13 13:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
https://www.vintagemoparts.com/product/1938-1951-autolite-service-parts-catalog-pdf/ (Not publicly available.)

Cross ref guide on this site, shows two different Echlin replacement numbers one for Auto and one Delco, so a slight variation. Contact a NAPA store for details or look up part numbers online for picture/specs.

11157356 was superceded.
These were used on a number of different period cars. Have to delve into the specs to be sure.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 172.78 KB; Hits: 62
pdf Size: 99.03 KB; Hits: 85

Posted on: 2020/2/14 10:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved