Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Where is my TUBE !!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
Hi All
Started the cooling system work today ..
I learned you cant take out the radiator with out taking out the water pump first .. but you cant take the water pump out with out taking out the 2 bolts of the front motor mount..

So now that all handled.

I have two ? ( see pics )

1. what is this rubber doughnut thing and this modified t-stat.( t-stat should have a metal ring to hold it in ? )

2. Where is the water tube ????? ( some one been in the motor. guessing they didn't put it back in )

Any input or what other things should i be looking into at this point ?

pic links
https://www.flickr.com/photos/187105532@N05/shares/07a537

Posted on: 2020/2/23 17:20
Daily Driving a 1937 115c TS
 Top  Print 

Re: Where is my TUBE !!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My I suggest posting your photos here with your question? That way they'll remain valid for years to come.

Posted on: 2020/2/23 23:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
What is this rubber doughnut thing ? and love the modified t-stat ...

Attach file:

jpg  (122.79 KB)
204704_5e589bb238c8f.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/2/27 23:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Ramcuda,
Just making sure... you're supporting the weight of the motor by jacking up the engine from underneath when you remove the 2 mount bolts, right?? I am presuming it is a 3-point mount setup with the back 2 on the tranny and if the front support is backed off, the engine should be shored up to prevent damage.
re the rubber ring, never seen that before, guessing maybe an impromptu retaining device to keep the T-stat up in the housing. Just a guess, pic of proper metal ring attached. There is also a stainless sleeve available from John Ulrich Packard that I like better. a) it's more robust and b) it doesn't rust.
Re 'modified t-stat' - if you are referring to the brass piece beside the rubber doughnut, I don't see how it could act as a thermostat as it does not appear to have a provision to close. Can you post more detail on that?? Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  (193.77 KB)
121627_5e58b8859bc93.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/2/28 1:53
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Ramcuda, Oh, and BTW, on your missing water distribution tube, I would try and locate one for your engine. I see them from time to time on Ebay and my guess is there would be folks on this site who could help you with that. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/2/28 1:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You must have a water distribution tube for proper cooling and not sure of your year and model (you didn't say) but if 1939 your thermostat should be in the radiator. It opens and closes the grille bars to control the airflow through the radiator rather than on the water outlet controlling water flow. 1939 was the last year for that on junior models so perhaps your car was modified with a 1940 housing and thermostat or it's an earlier model.

Incidentally, I have a rebuilt 110 engine from an early 1940 but not sure if I have a spare water distribution tube.

Posted on: 2020/2/28 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
You must have a water distribution tube for proper cooling but your thermostat should be in the radiator. It opens and closes the grill bars to control the airflow through the radiator rather than on the water outlet controlling water flow. 1939 was the last year for that on junior models so perhaps your car was modified with a 1940 housing and thermostat.

Incidentally, I have a rebuilt 110 engine from an early 1940 but not sure if I have a spare water distribution tube.

The 115C does not have grille shutters and does use a thermostat in the water outlet on the cylinder head.

Posted on: 2020/2/28 12:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
The 39 Six has the Sylphon controlled shutters AND can accomodate a thermostat in the head. I run with both and engine warms quickly in cold drives and is rock solid cool in hot summer months.

I have a couple wire thermostat retainers that Newbie showed; PM an address and I'll send you one for cost of shipping.

Enjoy that Six....great car.
Pat

Posted on: 2020/2/28 13:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Guys,

I was replying to Ramcuda who has a '37 Junior car, thinking there would be enough similarities to MY '39 junior car, that some of my experience with it would be 'transferable'. I may have to be more careful about that in the future, as there are obviously a lot of specific differences, unique to each model year. As Brian (always knowledgeable) has pointed out, the '37 115C does not have shutters, but DOES use a conventional head T-stat, which I did not know. FWIW, when I got my '39, it had functioning grille shutters AND a head T-stat. In rebuilding my cooling system, I obviously replaced the T-stat with a new one and when I went to remove the old unit, the wire clip was quite corroded, thus my suggestion on the stainless sleeve. Either will do the job, just felt the SS option was a nicer method of holding the T-stat in place. Anyway, Ramcuda, hope all the foregoing is of some use, good luck with your cooling project. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/2/28 14:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David
See User information
ok droping this here to see if it works

here is some test video we shot

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187105532@N05/49599302877/in/dateposted-public/

looking for input as we are thinking of making a you tube series of how it fix the little things and some of the bigger ones as well

Yes we are going to re-shoot the opening

Posted on: 2020/2/29 3:11
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved