Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Float in carb sticking closed or up
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
In the last 3 years or so I have had this problem on several antique cars the most recent is a 52 Packard. I have several antique cars and this has now happened to 3 of them. The float sticks up and will not let fuel in the carb. Sometimes I can tap the fuel bowl with the plastic end of a screw driver and that will let the float drop so carb will get gas and it will run fine all day. Others I have to take the top off the carb and free up needle and clean seat with carb cleaner and Im good for a while. Last summer a car did this and I had fresh gas in the car and had driven it over 100 miles 2 weeks earlier.I have tried putting seafoam in the tank with fresh gas and that does not help. Its pretty frustrating when your all cleaned up ready to go somewhere and got to mess with the carb. The only gas thats available around here has ethanol Anyone else have this problem or have a fix for this?

Posted on: 2020/3/3 7:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Float in carb sticking closed or up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Some of us keep Marvel Mystery Oil in our gas at the level on the bottle. I drive our 1949 Deluxe quite a bit and also a 1931 Model A Ford and I don't have any float trouble with either of them. However, friends that have cars that only are started/driven every few months do seem to have such trouble now and again. It appears to me that starting/running them on a regular basis is the key...if only around the block for five or six miles every other week. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/3/3 10:18
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Since I only go through about two tanks of gas per year on the Clipper, I religiously put Stabil in the tank to help prevent old fuel varnishing. Once I had forgotten and let it sit for way too long (6+ months), and it gummed up my accelerator pump to point that it blew out the side of the leather seal.

Posted on: 2020/3/3 15:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Combining Ernie and Big Kev's posts, I always add Marvel Mystery Oil and Stabil when refueling (which sometimes is only twice a season) and I've never experienced the problem that 29tons reports.

Posted on: 2020/3/3 22:58
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
After my last post I did notice that all the cars are 50s cars probably a coincidence.I will try adding the stabil and mystery oil.If anyone else has other ideas let me know.Something has changed with gas in the last 3 years.I have owned antique cars for 40 years and have never had this problem.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 5:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Packard Morning...Today's fuel is so different than what the Packard Engineers designed for...I don't know if they would laugh or cry or just get mad! I have heard people say that aviation gas is helpful if you live in a place where it is available...Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: 2020/3/4 13:25
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved