Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
This is probably a dumb question. My trans leaks slightly when parked. The leak seems to be at the control shaft on the right side would it be possible to tap the seal in so another seal could be slid over the shaft and tapped in place? My other thought was drop the pan slide the shaft over a few inches remove old seal and reassemble. Has anyone done this in the car? Also how do you know if its a gear start type trans.Also is there away to take the seal number from parts picture and get a modern number? 3.587 or 3.596

Posted on: 2020/3/6 14:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't answer the seal question but the Gearstart transmission was first used later in the 1954 production and has an under-hood dipstick on the driver side while the non-Gearstart had the dipstick underneath the car. Also, the selector indicator was quite different between the two.

Posted on: 2020/3/6 15:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
This one fills under the car and is not much fun to fill.I put a clear plastic hose on a funnel but maybe someone has a better way to fill it I have read about a small pump to fill it.I was looking at the Packard parts x-ref there is a number listed 5569 SKF for the control shaft seal.

Posted on: 2020/3/6 15:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The seal recess on my Twin Ultramatic was deep enough to simply add a 2nd seal on top of the first.

Posted on: 2020/3/6 15:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't answer the question on the double seal installation either other than to say it is possible on some Twin Ultras but do not know if there is enough depth in the bore on the regular Ultras which a 52 would be. If you try to install a second seal just be sure the shaft is clean and very smooth where the lip of the new seal will be riding.

Supplementing Don's answer on the difference in shift indicators, regular Ultras have 5 positions and the Gear Start has 6 positions, the 6th being a dot to the left of the drive position which I think may have been changed to a D instead of H on the Gear Start indicator plastic.

On the seals, according to a Packard part number to commercial seal interchange chart someone put together years ago Gr. 3.587 or the throttle shaft seal part number 421372 is the same as an old Victor number 48816. That Victor number crosses to a modern SKF seal 3683. Gr. 3.596 lists as a gasket for the start interlock switch but Gr. 3.590 is the control shaft seal, part 421326 which crosses to a Victor 46016. That Victor number in turn is an SKF 5569.

Napa generally carries SKF seals by their SKF number but if they do not stock them, with the cost of the seal and added freight Napa tacks on to get them into the store it may be that our vendors could match the price or possibly do better.

Posted on: 2020/3/6 15:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
amazon had a skf 5569 seal for 4.08 including tax and free 1 day shipping.Its hard to believe they can make sell it and ship it for that price. Tried to order 2 but they only had 1 in stock.

Posted on: 2020/3/7 15:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved