Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Help appreciated
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is a nice looking car for sure.

Posted on: 2020/3/7 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Are you a member of Lone Star Packards in Houston?
They are a region of The Packard Club.
https://www.packardclub.org/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/342912285774974/?source_id=113322083096

Lone Star Packards would be a good place to start to talk to those in your area to see who they use and recommend.

Here is their website that has a list of service providers, I'm not recommending any, just passing it along.
http://www.lonestarpackards.com/service_providers.html

The Facebook page,
https://www.facebook.com/Lone-Star-Packards-347023472042253/

Hope this helps some.

Have you ever been to the Texas Packard Meet?
Also a good place to meet and discuss Packards.

https://www.texaspackardmeet.org/
https://www.facebook.com/Packardmeetsaladotx/

Posted on: 2020/3/7 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Nice car, hard to find ones like that today.

I would eliminate the pistons/rings as the reason for the low compression. I would preform a "WET" compression check. Take out the plugs, pour a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder and then do another compression check. If it comes up, that indicates rings/cylinder. If it stays the same, then it would indicate head gasket, which you have eliminated or valves.

Low compression in a couple of cylinders would make it hard to start.

Posted on: 2020/3/7 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi SuitBear552

Nice-looking '41 Clipper! Welcome to the friendliest, most knowledgeable, enthusiastic, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by to avail yourself of as you tackle every problem. A great deal of historic information is here for the simply filling out your knowledge base.

As recommended by Let The Ride Decide, local resources are available to you with members of both the Packard Club (PAC) and Packards International (PI), both with local club regions. You should join one or both, particularly the one that has a regional chapter covering your area. PAC has the ArkLaTex Packards, Heart of Texas Packards, Lone Star Packards regions in your state. Joining requires a membership with the national PAC club first and well worth it. You'll open a world of good people who are enthusiastic and helpful to get your '41 Clipper back on the road. Packard people want to see as many Packard return to the road as possible. They will know good engine re-builders who can do your job right for a realistic price.

The advice given here is from people who are extremely familiar with Packard straight eights. The 282 eight is a simple, straight-forward engine which requires only the basic engine rebuilding skills to complete. The 10K estimate is very high, likely he doesn't really want to do the job. Many current shops want to deal only with newer engines.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later for reference. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other ongoing Project Blogs for ideas as well.

Good Luck with your Clipper project, please keep us apprised of your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/3/7 11:32
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day SuitBear552,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '41 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/3/7 15:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Your Clipper looks to be in pretty good shape, body-wise.

Definitely work attacking the mechanical issues. but with the help of knowledgeable and enthusiastic people, as suggested here.

This is comparatively easy/cheap compared to body or paintwork. Mechanical bits readily available and not too expensive. You would end up with e very nice car which would be reliable, a pleasure to drive and would attract a lot of positive attention.

If you don't feel like taking this on yourself, maybe pass it to another Packard enthusiast to have a go. It's worth saving!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/7 16:13
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Suitbear552
See User information
I know that some have said the motor looks well worn.. Is it possible to adjust the valves so they close more so there would be more compression. The guy I bought it from said it did run.. but that it was hard to start.. Of course he never said anything about the bb's. It was stored at a shop he owned but leased out.. the guy running the shop told us about the bb's. The car has been partially rebuilt. I have no idea about the transmission or clutch. I do know he told us the brakes were redone.. but they are not working now.

Posted on: 2020/3/7 18:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I don't know if what you are asking is very feasible, There are so many unknowns about the engine, trans, etc., that if you aren't 100% committed to bring the Packard to life and incurring the expense(S) of all that entails perhaps your $ can be put into a car that already has the work done. Take time to get an idea using the resources of the above listed clubs in your area to see what the trans might cost, complete brake overhaul, gas tank and components cleaned and repaired, cooling system servicing (radiator,heater,water pump,engine block etc.) then if the interior needs work $$ as well as paint or body work $$. Having an collector auto is/can be, a money pit but when it's all done the pride of ownership will feel great. Now is the time to decide to be "all in and committed" or bail. Hope this helps. Regards.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 12:34
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If the valves are leaking some, about the only thing that might be done is to use valve grind compound and lap the valves into their seats.
Short of that, it would require regrinding the valves and valves seats if pitted much.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Based on what I've read here, this isn't something where you want to take any shortcuts.

Posted on: 2020/3/9 11:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved