Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Radio
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting on the extra switch for the emergency brake working a pump. Packard offered an optional light that would activate when the emergency brake was applied and light up a BRAKE indicator. Switch was maybe in the same place yours is so perhaps the one who did the changes on your car used the same bracket.

On the Packard installed factory option if the car had a standard trans or the pushbutton Ultra the normal shift quadrant lettering was replaced with a plastic piece which had BRAKE written out. When sitting, the brake lettering was barely visible and there was just a dark spot on the dash. The 3/4" x 2" long piece of plastic lit up bright red whenever the emergency brake handle was pulled out enough to have any brake action. No ignoring that.

On cars with non PB trans which needed the shift quadrant, there was a small red indicator light on a bracket bolted under the dash. Have also seen the under dash bracket used on cars that did not need the dash space so possibly if a dealer installed the kit they found it quicker and easier to just bolt the bracket on rather than disassemble the dash to install the plastic. Not nearly as visible as the dash piece but still got the point across.

I had never thought about the PS on RHD. Not quite picturing the space limitations but wonder if there were mirror images of the steering control unit or the ability to turn it 180 and reverse the hoses and brackets to have it work on the right side. The pump should not have needed to move but no clue what else might have needed to change in the linkage. No idea if electric steering could be made to fit but if so I suspect it would take more current than the generator would provide. There are kits that can handle some of the street rods built on some 50s Chevy or Ford chassis so I would imagine something large enough could be found but maybe not for RHD. Would probably require a lot of fabrication as I doubt any of the original items could be reused. I think the electrics are all rack and pinion so a lot would need to change. 56 might not be too bad since it used the stub column. I assume they kept that with the conversion so adding a piece of shafting with couple of universal couplings and supports might do it. If something like a 55 with a solid column was used with the conversion, I think it would be a show stopper trying to get a new column to look anything like the original if that is a consideration.

I had my clock converted to quartz and it kept perfect time -- even the second hand was still working although it changes to a smooth sweep instead of the jumps. To a judge in a show that plus the silence is an immediate give away and maybe a point deduction. There was a company which advertised doing conversions on the older model clocks but I see the company that did mine no longer advertises anything earlier than 60. I know they had to fabricate and mount an extra gear train to get the time adjust knob to reach the smaller mechanism so maybe they no longer offer that part or it is a situation that needs a phone call to confirm if they can make the mods to fit in a particular shape clock.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With regard to 1956 Clippers in RHD, power steering was not available on the 1956 Clippers converted to RHD by the UK agent Leonard Williams. The heater was the type last used in the 21st Series. Many details in the road test conducted by "The Motor", issue of June 27, 1956, which recorded a true top speed of 113.4 mph! The same car was also road-tested by British publication "Autocar", issue #1598.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Howard

Some of the electric power steering systems work inside the car acting directly on the column, with a knob to adjust the level of assistance. I have spoken with some suppliers here who say they have been fitted successfully to 1950s American cars. Maybe. The problem with RHD power steering is that the steering box is VERY close to the exhaust manifold on the right of the engine. No room near there for a pump or electric motor. The column mounted units will obviously work with any steering box.

Re the clock, this car will never be a concours contender, so a quartz conversion would be fine. My clock may actually be ok or readily repairable. If not, there seem to be a few good used ones around now so maybe I'll go that way.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 19:51
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Clipper Power Steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Dave

Yes, that's correct. The manual steering box is virtually touching the right hand exhaust manifold in the right hand drive setup. No room for power steering gubbins (of either type) there. Some of the electric units operate directly on the steering column inside the car. I'm a bit sceptical about their ability to summon enough torque to work well. Of course, the vendors say they do.

Turning the wheel at parking speeds is truly character-building!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/8 19:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If anything like the earlier models, the power steering had nothing to do with the gearbox and was all in the cross linkages. It shouldn't matter that the pump remains on the left side and the only issue I can think of (presuming that the cylinder can be reversed) would be to anchor the linkage to the right rather than to the left which might mean fabricating a bracket like the one found on the 1952 models. After 1952 the anchor attached to the same bolts that hold the gearbox so using that type might be an issue on a RHD car.

Posted on: 2020/3/8 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Don

I have just learned that there were two optional power steering systems fitted to these cars. I can see them in the Owner's Manual and Steering/Suspension section of the shop manual. Just to complicate things, mine has Torsion Level suspension which means a few differences in the front suspension department. I can't see how any belt driven hydraulic PAS or electric conversion could fit in the space available in a rhd car. This tends to explain why right hand drive cars were not available with power steering!

After speaking with some EPAS vendors, I'm becoming sceptical about the electric PAS kits which fit inside the car and act on the steering column. I'm not sure they are really up to the job, and they cost a lot more than at first apparent because of the fiddles required to fit them.

Starting to wonder if my manual steering is heavier than it should be. Wondering how much lubrication (if any) it has received over the past 10-20 years. I don't understand how anybody of normal size could have managed this car at parking speeds, so maybe something is not quite right.

Will put it up on a hoist in the next couple of days and give it some good shots with a grease gun around the front end. Will also check the oil in the steering box.

Does anybody else have experience with manual steering in these cars?

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/9 2:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tires can have a very significant influence on effort required to steer cars with manual steering. Oversize tires, and especially radial tires can add very considerably to the effort required to steer these cars when standing still or at very low speeds. Also, underinflation would add to the effort needed. Other factors include steering geometry (alignment) and lubrication.

Posted on: 2020/3/9 8:04
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I put radials on that look like vintage pie-cut edge ply bias tires. They have a smaller contact patch than most radials and the effort to steer them at slow speed was greatly reduced compared to the cheap normal radials I had on them. See my project blog for details.

Posted on: 2020/3/9 8:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Picture for reference.

Attach file:

jpeg  (459.09 KB)
1_5e664f29e6256.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/3/9 9:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Clipper Steering
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Kev

Yes, the Clipper has the same tires on as when I got it. Some sort of modern radials with a thin whitewall strip. Actually Bridgestone P215/75SR15 steel belted radials. Something very similar - but Kelly brand - on the wire wheels I have for this car. On reflection, these are probably contributing to the problem. Trouble is I'll never wear them out, but a change might be more cost effective than messing with power steering conversions etc.

I had Diamond Back Toyo tyres on my 1941 120 Club Coupe, which seemed to work fine with manual steering. I think these started life as light truck tires.

I like the radials for ride and handling on the Clipper, but might be better off with narrower section radials to reduce the low speed steering effort. These may be smaller rolling diameter and will give me a wrong speedo reading.

What tires are on your blue car? Is it manual steering?

Went fishing in your blog but ran out of time at about page 220 (going backwards). Some very interesting stuff in there.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/9 18:01
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved