Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Carter Carb fuel leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Found an AWESOME video on line about this, Mikes carburetor. I have it hooked up right, HOWEVER, missing springs. One is a simple coil spring which I will find somewhere, second one is unusual and no ideas where I will find that one

Posted on: 2020/3/9 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John,

I too found a crack in the fuel pickup tube at the tank flange and really thought I had discovered something. This was back, pre-rebuild, when my car was stalling all the time and figured this was an 'aha' moment, but with my tank, the pickup tube was all one piece, so where it was cracked at the flange, that did nothing to interrupt the draw of fuel from the tank. Not sure if yours is a different setup, but suspect the '39's would be similar. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/3/10 1:34
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
My primary thought is the issues I've had in the past with well water pumps either losing their prime or inability to pump because I had a leak on the pumps input side
I have an electric pump on this car located next to the tank. Hope this leak was the culprit, have had zero issues on this elusive issue and the logic In comparing this leak to a well pump I believe is sound

Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 2020/3/10 10:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah John, I've done lots of 'well-engineering' too and agree with you - sounds like you've got 'er nailed. Be interested to hear your followup report. I'll post on my carb once I get it back and reinstalled. Right now, still seriously in the snowbank! Good luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/3/10 12:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Follow up comment. Been a couple months now, not a single fuel delivery issue since finding that crack. Closing the door (knocking on wood too) on this !

-john

Posted on: 2020/5/28 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John, Glad to hear your fuel problem is (or sounds like)resolved. I got my carb back from the rebuild house here in Canada that I had mentioned in earlier posts. Installed it and went to start the engine and there was gas all over the place!! ^%$%^&^%$#@#$!!!! My that burns me!! It actually leaks way worse than before I took it to him. I took it off AGAIN and returned it to the guy with my politest 'please fix this fricking thing' and am supposed to be picking it up this coming Wednesday. I'll see what he has to say. In the guy's defense, and to be honest, I do have an electric fuel pump mounted at the tank. I think it's 5-8 PSI and I thought with it pushing all the way from the tank it would lose a couple of pounds and not be 'too much' for the carb. Maybe this is the issue. I just use the electric as a booster to start the engine and then turn it off and let the cam pump do the job. And before, this was no issue. It didn't leak at startup, but would start to drip after it had run for a bit. With the engine being warm, the minimal drips would evaporate and the heat plate would remain dry. Then, after the engine was shut off, the drips would continue for a bit and with the engine cooling off, the gas would pool on the plate. Now, as soon as I hit the switch for the electric pump to start, the gas POURS out (looks like the top of the bowl) and I am afraid to even start the car. I'll report back after the carb guy gives me his findings. He apparently has a dynomometer(sp?) that he 'runs' the carbs on to see that they are performing and he said he was going to test it at 3, 4 & 5 PSI and see if it overpowered the needle and seat. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/30 0:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Chris.

Regarding your fuel pressure, it would not surprise me at all if the 5 - 8# you have would cause problems with the valve seat in the bowl. Did you measure the pressure?

Is your mechanical pump not working, I do not see a reason to have two pumps.

As far as the carb leak, I am reasonably certain I can get mine to leak again by draining the bowl and then turn the electric pump on and don't start the car. Within a few seconds, fuel will pour out. However if I start the car, that fuel leak does not occur, even if I shut it off and then turn just the fuel pump on. Something is strange there, would like to find the fix, but as long as I don't empty the bowl, the problem doesn't occur. Only thing I can possibly imagine that if the float drops all the way down, it binds on something.
Fuel pressure on this electric pump is about 4.5#. Mechanical pump is on my bench, a rebuild project for the future.

As far as your carb being "dynoed" I think what they use a dry flow unit not a dyno, as dynos are used to measure engine performance HP and torque. On a dry flow bench, only air is used, no fuel, so if the float is sticking, it would not be discovered. Would like to know more about his testing, carb shop name?
Is the leather seat on the anti-percolation valve intact and is it closing?

John

Posted on: 2020/5/30 10:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I did pass along your question re the leather seat, to the guy at the carb shop. It is called Canadian Carburetors and their website is:http://www.canadiancarburetor.com/
I went to them as a guy I know had a couple of really complicated issues with different carbs on his vehicles, and he said they resolved them right away and he was most impressed with their knowledge and service level. They DO seem very knowledgeable and the guy was very confident that we would 'get to the bottom' of the issue with my carb and get it working properly, no matter what it took. I am really hoping that he CAN get me sorted and I can get back to driving my car again as the 'season is upon us' and up here, it doesn't last that long! I'll post as soon as I find out more. Again, appreciate your reply and followup. Chris.

Post Edit: Oh, and to answer your question, John, my engine pump is a new rebuild from Kanter and appears to work well. The reason I have the electric pump is just for starts, especially when the car has sat for a while. It just seems to make it so much easier on the starter. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/30 17:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Keep me posted Chris. I really don't like the idea I can have fuel spill over if I empty the bowl, as that could occur after a long storage or possibly after a long hot run and soak on a HOT day

Posted on: 2020/5/30 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey John,

I heard back from the carb guy today and he sent me a video of my carb 'running' on his 'dyno'. It idled perfectly ad revved very smoothly when he accelerated it. I am on my boat right now and my internet connection is very slow, so I won't even try to upload the video, but when I get home Wednesday, I'll try and do it from there. It's worth seeing... very cool little setup he has there, and he said he tested the pressure up to 5 PSI with zero leaks or issues. Hope to get it back on the car Thursday or Friday and can take her out for a spin!! Yahoo!...I'll have to take my camera and toss a post on Ernie's 'Packard Trips'!! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/1 18:01
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved