Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
53 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 51

Marvin, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Corona
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Thank you Jason75 for that wealth of useful info - especially that the virus is NOT heat resistant. Hope the sun begins to shine more here
and the outdoor thermometer reaches the 80-degree mark sooner, rather than later.

Hi BH, I did a little more fact checking and have updated the information accordingly.. Seems the heat resistance portion (unfortunately) isn't as cut and dry as originally stated

Posted on: 2020/3/12 23:10
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Corona and bad weather strikes. Joel Ray let me know earlier today that the Packards International Meet for this weekend has been cancelled. Rain and other covid-19 related closures make it a bust for us to stay on and do other things, so changing our flights and flying home early.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 1:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
As a society we have become a bunch of obese, weak beings. Growing up I cant recall ever having to use antibiotics, it was only used for severe medical situations like a pneumonia. Today it's like a staple in kids' diet: dairy, grain, fruit, amoxicillin, meat... We would play outside scrape our elbows and knees and it inoculated us and our immune system was activated and worked properly. These days the kids are dressed up as a marshmallow before they can go outside and play for heaven forbid they might get a scratch and when they do we are ready with the neosporin tube to fight of every single bacteria, it's the worse thing you can do! This is why everyone has allergies these days: we live too clean, the body isn't used to outside bugs and when they do it goes haywire. If you dont run your Packard on a regular base it wont run right, when you dont use your immune system on a regular base it's the same thing. When tmy kids come in from playing outside I wont make them wash their hands, let them ingest some dirt it's good for them! My kids that play outside on a regular basis are healthier than the 1 that never wants to go outside. Hmmm I'm wondering why.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 6:39
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They were not like that in 1918, and that still wiped out a lot of people.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 11:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
If you read into the 1918 Spanish flu, a lot of people were malnourished from the 1st world war and the hygienic conditions were not very good and as a result most people didn't die from the flu but from secondary infections.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 11:25
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
BDC - it seems much of society is accustomed to a bubble wrapped, assisted driving lifestyle..... Which has brought Darwinism to a screeching halt!

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Agreed BDC....

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
Through some additional vetting of the document I was sent I determined it was actually two separate documents that had been combined... Below is some fact checks on the first.

DOCUMENT #1 Statements and fact checks

1. "If you have a runny nose and sputum, you MAY have a common cold/flu it isn't necessarily that you've caught the virus"

Having a runny nose and sputum (phlegm coughed up from the lungs) doesn't rule out having Covid-19.

It's true that early studies on the new coronavirus have found that a runny nose (rhinorrhoea in medical terminology) is a relatively uncommon symptom, but some patients did have it. At least one other study has found it to be a more common symptom. So if you have a runny nose you may still have Covid-19.

Covid-19's main symptoms are a cough, high temperature and shortness of breath, but the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) says "sputum production" is a less common, but still reported, symptom. A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that a third of coronavirus patients were producing sputum.

2. "Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose."

The term pneumonia describes the swelling of lung tissue. It's usually caused by a bacterial infection, and has been seen in Covid-19 patients. One of the most common symptoms of Covid-19 is a dry cough

3. Because the virus is relatively new, there's a lot not known about it, like the temperatures it can withstand.so early after the discovery of the virus. What we can do is look at related viruses. Coronavirus is a family of viruses including the common cold, SARS, and SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes Covid-19).

Studies have found that another coronavirus, MERS, was more stable at lower temperatures, and a warmer, humid environment slowed its transmission. The World Health Organisation (WHO) says coronaviruses in general can be destroyed at cooking-levels of heat, at around 70?C.

4.It's difficult to say exactly how far droplets spread when you sneeze, as it depends on a factors like humidity and temperature. Research in recent years has shown that droplets from sneezes have the potential to spread several metres from the sneezing person.

5. The WHO says "Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days.

6. On fabric it may survive for some hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7.you should avoid drinking liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. Gargling with salt water is recommended by the NHS for adults who have a sore throat, but only to relieve symptoms once you have caught it, not as a preventative measure.

10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1.It will first infect the throat, so you may have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus can blend into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

In general, 1-3 are roughly an accurate description of the common symptoms of Covid-19, although some patients may experience other symptoms and the timing of those symptoms may differ.

The CDC (Centre for Disease Control) says that sore throat has been reported "in some patients". More commonly, symptoms include fever, a cough, muscle pain and shortness of breath. Not everyone who has Covid-19 will get pneumonia.

CDC advises that you use its 111 online coronavirus service should you suspect you have contracted Covid-19.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In the USA there is the invisible population. The homeless in places like Los Angeles, drug addicts by the millions, and 40% of children living in poverty who rely on the school system for most of their daily food. Nothing is more saddening than hearing a child say they can't watch TV because the food commercials or cooking shows make them ravenous.

Anyway, the 1918 situation affected over 25% of the population with 10% death rate. That translates to 175 million dead today. So half as bad is still death by the millions.

I think I will stay home.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I think I will stay home.

Tim, good idea, especially with view to limited resources of national healthcare.
Dangerous situations seem to be one of those attractions that greenhorns gravitate towards. A bad strategy when confronted with a virus.
It isn't the virus itself that kills. Don't know if a virus has interests but if, then it shouldn't be interested to assassinate its host. The reaction in the lung involves the danger. If you are part of a risk group (pre-existing illness, diabetic, just weakened by age) you could consider a -> vaccination against pneumococci. Thereafter your body is better prepared for the almost inevitable things to come.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.40 KB)
757_5e6cce08040d4.jpg 486X500 px

Posted on: 2020/3/14 7:02
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved