Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1948 288 coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Which ignition coil for my 48 288 - thanks

Posted on: 2020/3/15 17:47
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 288 coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Varied by model but Packard used Autolite and Delco. Typically the same brand was on all the major electrical items under the hood so the coil would have been the same brand as your distributor, starter and generator. No idea how plentiful NOS or even used coils might be today but I personally would be reluctant to pay good money for a 70 year old coil where, depending on storage conditions, the insulating material inside the can could have dried up or deteriorated.

I would suggest using a modern 6v Napa Echlin IC-7 coil. Those have been successfully used by many here on the forum but are the more expensive of Napa's universal coils. Napa has another coil -- MPE-IC7SB -- in their lower cost Mileage Plus line which should also do OK and is about half the cost of the Echlin. The other major parts stores should have their own branded equivalents.

Posted on: 2020/3/15 18:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you - Rebuilt carb and gas tank - Blew out lines, new battery - Been sitting for 3 years, so would not start - new coil next

Posted on: 2020/3/15 19:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the points are the old ones use a point file or burnishing tool and clean them. Just sitting, vapors from the crankcase could have settled in the dist and condensed a coating on the points so they are non conductive. If points and condenser was changed and the dist has the cloth covered flex wire between the points connection and the outside terminal, the old cloth insulation on the wire could have been rotten. With the work inside the dist disturbing the wire a portion of insulation could have fallen off a hidden spot and allowed the wire to short.

If the plugs have been subject to a lot of cranking without engine starting make sure they are dry and did not foul or get a moisture/oil coating from the raw gas allowing the spark to sort of dissipate to ground without jumping the gap.

If still no luck, you might want to do a compression check to verify no stuck valves or rings that have set and are not sealing well.

Posted on: 2020/3/15 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...When we purchased our 1949 Deluxe, she was damn hard to start...we cleaned and tightened all of the connections, put new 00 (double naught) battery cables and added a second ground cable to the frame. We also added a fresh battery with 800 cranking amps and new plug wires. Cleaned the points, cleaned the tip of the rotor, cleaned the contactor on top of the rotor, cleaned the little tit on the inside of the distributor cap, cleaned the tips inside the distributor cap, changed condenser, plugs and coil and the old girl fired right up. The proper thick battery cables made quite a difference. She came to us with a wimpy battery and even wimpier battery cables from maybe a Pinto or some such! My wife sprinkled a little bit of Holly Water on the Radiator! Today, we run 87 octane fuel and use Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, according to the instructions on the bottle. She'll fire up and you will love her. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/3/16 10:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My friend said no spark to the plugs -

Posted on: 2020/3/17 0:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Make certain, as Howard suggested, that your points are not oxidized and thereby not conducting. That is far and away the most common problem after a a long hiatus. The oxide they form is quite hard; it can take some pretty substantial violence to get their little faces clean.

OK, I will now admit my secret shame: all the old books say never to sandpaper the points. I have done it for thirty years on everything from junkyard ornaments to neglected trailer queens. 600 grit wet or dry paper. Works great and I have never found the downside. Fold a little piece over quadruple so it is stiff, close the points on it and work it back and forth til you get continuity. Follow up with the corner of a 3 x 5 card to clean up. Point files are usually not sharp enough to get that oxide off.

Posted on: 2020/3/17 7:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I've done that too, Ross..... LOL

Posted on: 2020/3/17 8:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's also exactly the way I've always done it and never a problem.

Posted on: 2020/3/17 10:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Well I never!!!!

me too.

Posted on: 2020/3/17 11:01
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved