Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Preferred tire supplier 1941
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
I ran Diamondback radials on my 1941 120 Club Coupe. These were built up with bonded white walls in the usual way, but I think started life as Toyo light truck radial tires. Had to run them with tubes in, which were a bit fragile, but they were excellent tires for travelling longer distances and suited the car well. Sometimes, Diamondback or their dealers have specials on these. I think mine worked out at less than US$200 each a few years ago. Not too different to quality cross plies.

They're hard to tell from cross plies, with the name removed.

As others have said, if you expect to drive the car over reasonable distances, this is the way to go.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/13 4:09
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
We have Diamond Backs on our '55 Caribbean. Completely happy with their performance.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have several friends that have tried to use Cokers on their car. One person got a set installed that was so out of round that it could not be shaved into rounds. To make make matters worse they would replace them.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 14:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
A question was raised about the how long tires last. I have a set of Diamondback radial on my 53 that are almost 20 years old and they are still in great shape. The biggest enemy of your tires from an age standpoint is the sun. So if your car is garaged most of the time, your tires will last many years.

Tire manufacturers have a different opinion however, and you will find recommendations that tires be replaced every 5-8 years. Many tire shops will not fix flats on tires older than this. Keep in mind however that their recommendation is to cover their ass for liability purposes. They have to base their recommendation on the worst case scenario.

I have 39 120 sedan that has a set of Lester bias plys. I have been very happy with these tires. A lot of the "road wander" that bias plys exhibit is due to tread design. The '39 was terrible before I got new tires but now I realize that most of it was due to the old tires being worn out.

Posted on: 2020/3/21 12:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Ultimately I went with the Coker Goodrich. Now, the issue I am having is finding someone to mount them. I have tried a national chain store near me but they say no, their chain and probably all chains are not allowed to change tubed tires. I checked with a little independent discount tire store that does new and used tires. There was a language barrier there, but the end result was clear- No. I then found another near by independent shop that said yes, but that they are still getting moved in from their old location where they had been for 25 years and to come back next week. Well, at least I got a Yes.

Posted on: 2020/3/22 14:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I bought my first Packard, a low mileage but rough condition 1939 Six, I understood that the spare in the trunk was the original and was made by Armstrong. Whether true or not I don't know.

Posted on: 2020/3/22 20:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Armstrong was and is an aftermarket tire manufacturer originally based in New Jersey, later as I recall in Florida. They date back to the early 1900s. In the 60s their premium rayon cord tire was marketed with the trade name "Rhino-Flex", I believe the rhinoceros is still their mascot. To my knowledge they were never an OE supplier.

Posted on: 2020/3/22 20:22
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved