Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

1956 Clipper Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Have decided to start a blog for this, as the list of outstanding jobs gets longer!

Background: I bought this car about a year ago and have taken a shine to it - despite tatty paintwork etc. It was right hand drive from new, being delivered by Kellow-Falkiner (Rolls and Bentley dealers in Melbourne. It was fairly comprehensively restored by a previous owner about 35 years ago, and has stood up fairly well except for the paintwork which is now quite crazed and generally lets the car down. It is fitted with the Ultramatic transmission, Torque Level suspension, limited slip differential and power brakes. The first three are working well, but not the brakes which amongst other things appear to lack power boost and may have a slow hydraulic leak.

Note the omission of power steering, which was not available on right hand drive cars in 1955/6. After much head-scratching, have decided follow Kev and fit narrower radial tyres plus plenty of grease around the front end.

I'm still not sure where this car was assembled. But either way, the right hand drive configuration was thoroughly engineered, and there appear to be quite a few unique factory components used (including the dash). It is fitted with a local AWA pushbutton transistor radio and Smiths heater unit. It had the oil pump upgrade when it was restored, and gained locally made electric wipers to replace the vacuum jobs at that point.

It runs extremely well and is quite sprightly. Wish it stopped the same way!

Only other mods are an Edelbrock 4-barrel carburettor, dual stainless exhaust system and custom built wire wheels of the same style as the genuine Packard items fitted to senior models (different stud pattern).

The only other mod is the addition of a second modern AM/FM radio unit inside the glove compartment. I want to revive the original AWA radio and dispense with that. Still quite a few AM stations around where I live. A new windscreen was fitted when the second radio was installed. The aerial is attached to the left side of the screen. Ugly.

Over recent weeks, the power brakes have been deteriorating with all the symptoms of vacuum system failure. However addition of fluid to the master cylinder has temporarily overcome the problem. There's a Treadlevac brake rebuild in my future.

Another item on the list is the clock, which no longer operates but I'm hoping can be repaired.

Paintwork is scheduled for attention later this month. A big job which I am trying to prevent getting out of hand cost-wise. All I really want is for the car to be presentable. It is painted in a very dark blue 1970s Ford colour called Midnight - pretty similar to the Packard dark blue which I think suits the car quite well (see old pic).

Interior is pretty much original. I will have a go at cleaning it up and tidying a few areas.

Attach file:

jpg  (410.74 KB)
191498_5e6875184850b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (191.56 KB)
191498_5e687558d2401.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (73.37 KB)
191498_5e687579f182c.jpeg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2020/3/11 0:22
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Clipper Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Will follow along with interest!

Posted on: 2020/3/11 1:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Great excitement today. The TreadleVac rebuild kit and new wheel cylinders arrived from Kanters.

Currently deciding how and when to tackle this. The car is going for its paintwork refurbishment in a few weeks. (The brakes are still working ok after topping up the fluid.) Think I'll do it then. Plan to remove the TreadleVac unit and do it as a bench job. Then get into the drums, wheel cylinders and shoes. There may be a slow fluid leak somewhere there. Will do the whole brake system and use silicone fluid from here on, as recommended by others and experienced by me on my 1941 120 Club Coupe.

Still looking at the possibility of adding a remote fluid reservoir for the TreadleVac. The master cylinder filler is so hard to get at that I guess it's gone more than ten years since last being checked.

I currently have the left side fresh air ducting (actually plastic water pipe) out. It makes very little difference to ventilation in the car. But this helps with access to the TreadleVac. There is a rubber-edged butterfly in the metal fresh air tube attached to the firewall, which operates from one of the fresh air levers on the dash. New corrugated duct material also on the way. The other (left) side has also been bodged, but is potentially more important because it delivers fresh air to the heater.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/16 19:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to look into the use of silicone brake fluid in a TreadleVac. One well-known and long-established rebuilder (since retired) of them strongly recommended against it, actually went so far as to say its use would invalidate his warranty. I have no insight into his basis for that, but I and most of my friends with TreadleVacs used DOT 4, many years of trouble-free service. I'd be particularly swayed by an opinion one way or the other by Ross Miller.

Posted on: 2020/3/16 19:40
 Top  Print 

Re: Treadle Vac - Check Valve Spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
I now have the full Kanter rebuild kit for the Treadle Vac in my 1956 Clipper Deluxe.

Have had differing opinions on using silicone fluid post rebuild. Any further advice on this? What sort of problems might it cause? One obvious advantage is not having to top up/change fluid so frequently. The master cylinder filler is a bear to get at.

More pressing question. Should I replace things like the check valve spring as part of the rebuild. These are apparently stainless steel. How can I tell if there's a problem with it? If there is, where can I get one?

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/24 23:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Used silicone fluid in my '41 Coupe's system for 10 years, no problems, except...... it didn't do the brake switch any good. Had to replace the switch about every 12->18 months when it failed. Don't know the technical reason for the failure, just that the brake switch eventually succumbed to the effects of the silicone fluid. If I remember rightly(the knowledgeable here will correct me if I'm wrong) the T/L cars had a particular switch which is now hard to source, so maybe something other than silicone fluid is best?

Good to seeing you're putting in quality time with your Packard during these difficult days. At least you can't be infected. Although, saying that, you have already been infected with the old car disease!

Posted on: 2020/3/25 0:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Mal

Yes, having the Packard bug has its advantages at times like this.

I was racing at Wakefield Park last weekend. The world looked almost normal from there.

Only known cure for the Packard bug is another Packard project. I haven't succumbed yet, but won't say I haven't been looking. Just as well the A$ is so low.
Have you been tempted?

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/3/25 0:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian.

What were you running at Wakefield?

Being in relative isolation has an advantage in reducing temptations!

Posted on: 2020/3/25 0:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Mal

I was driving a friend's 1964 Brabham BT9 open-wheeler. Lovely little car. Will try to attach a pic.

I have discovered that it's not necessary to own a race car to go racing. Plenty of friends with cars but without racing licenses provides a steady supply of OPs!

Isolation is not a perfect defence against temptation. There's always the internet.

Cheers

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (162.97 KB)
191498_5e7b26e1c0ae0.jpg 1600X1067 px

Posted on: 2020/3/25 4:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Like "Black Jack", were you flicking rocks up at those behind you?

Posted on: 2020/3/25 5:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved