Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

JW49, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fresh air induction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I was thinking...it should be kind of easy to tap into the right front fresh air intake before it goes into the heater fan, and direct some air to the fuel pump and or the carburetor for fresh air/cooling to those parts.
I'm talking about the 51-53 Packards here. Has anyone ever seen, or done this? I guess venting to the fuel pump would be easy, but running some kind of snorkle to the air filter might get a little long, and not look so original.
Just brainstorming....

Posted on: 2020/3/26 15:52
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Re: Fresh air induction
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I guess the question is why do you see a need for it?

If you have the proper heat shields in place I don't see an issue with it. The fan is blowing air down that side of the engine as well. you should have a head shield over the fuel pump and an insulating spacer between the carb and manifold.

I lived in inland Southern California where temps regularly exceed 100F in the summer, and I never had an issue.

Posted on: 2020/3/31 14:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Kev,
I don't have a real need for a change like this. In the past when I lived closer to Stuttgart and would occasionally sit/crawl in traffic in 95 degree weather for 15 minutes, at times like that, I could tell that my idle would get a little rough and I could see a little more movement in my manifold vacuum gauge. No problems with vapor lock, or overheating, but I did get the feeling that the fuel system was getting hot.
I do have the fuel pump heat shield, and carb insulation/spacer. They work well.
I now live further in the country, so don't have to worry about traffic anymore.
A simple mod that would be very easy would be to put some thin insulation on the underside of the fuel pump heat shield. Although that probably might not make much difference, since heat rises.
Bending a sheet aluminium cover for the exhaust manifold would also be kind of "cool"

Posted on: 2020/3/31 14:53
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
But why? I don't see that it would gain you anything whatsoever other than more work!

Posted on: 2020/3/31 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Cooler air is better. Whether the benefit would be worth the effort is the question. Why not do it and see what happens? You can always go back to original. Having fun with cars helps to pass the time and occupy the mind. Stay well.

Posted on: 2020/4/1 12:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved