Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

2126 model wiring question/diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Again....working on loose ends (literally) wiring etc and have an issue with electrical connections under the bonnet. Had a new Narraganset wiring harness installed and gradually wired to circuits as the car progressed. Generally, with exception of radio and heater connections, other minor interior lighting, door switches, head light switches etc were completed and tested with no issues. Rebuilt engine had been started several times but not thru the final ignition switch wiring. Before taking it from resto shop, I had them do the final wiring to ignition.
At test, battery had been connected but needed a charge to test the starting circuits. After charging for 30 minutes, bumped the starter and the engine turned over as normal...no gas but did have starter engaged.
Once back in my garage (roll back delivery), I hooked up a trickle charger after disconnecting the hot lead. After charging overnight, disconnected the charger. When I went to put the hot lead on the post, got a significant spark (10-15amps approx) and the overdrive relay, one closest to drivers side, clicked shut.
There are several wires that have not been connected including Horn relay pair, electric overdrive lock out pair (optional with harness), "?accelerator switch?" pair and direct speed switch wire.
Accel switch pair?? is big question since the accelerator switch is already wired with a pair of a different color and correct end fitting hardware instead of the "pins".
Any insights would be appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (180.30 KB)
97266_5e865334e869c.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (217.10 KB)
97266_5e86534c5a74b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (189.14 KB)
97266_5e8653658d514.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (187.32 KB)
97266_5e86537494526.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (207.36 KB)
97266_5e8653845b104.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (209.37 KB)
97266_5e86539e90426.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:05
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Re: 2126 model wiring question/diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Custo Eight

Sounds to me that the over drive is being grounded out, I suspect that your governor is the kind for a car equipped with electromatic. These governors have two places to connect. Reverse the leads or move the lead if you only have one. This should solve it. I.e the electromatic is grounded when the OD ins't and vice versa.

If this is happening and the other switches too the od are not connected, one of the wires is going to ground or there is some issue with how the relay is connected
If you have a schematic it is easily figured out. The Packard manuals and the MOTOR manuals trouble shooting routines for this

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Custo Eight

Ok. I just looked at your pictures . If you are wiring the overdrive according to the schematic , terminals 123 are on the bottom and 456 on the top. In other words try turning turn your schematic upside down when wiring . I got caught on this once. Terminal numbers are numbered either on the cover or the base, I forget which.

John

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
John, Thanks for the quick input. I thought I remembered reading that the OD wiring could easily be wired wrong and reversing leads would correct it. Just couldn't find that reference. Also found Big Kev's color wiring diagram for the 21st series cars...my old ones are getting a bit tired.

Cheers

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:52
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
That sounds vaguely familiar. I will see if I can reference the color diagram to double check the wiring on the firewall mounted relay. So top left green wire would go bottom left and same across the rest of terminals....if I understand your concept. Thanks again

Posted on: 2020/4/2 17:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a photo of the relay oriented the way it is typically positioned in the car. Looking at your photo, yours appears the same but you can remove the screws and the square wire retainer plates off the terminals to see the terminal number stamped directly on the terminal.

The governor bottom photo shows the two wires and are labeled which is which. As JHH says, if the wrong one is connected and the lockout switch is closed the relay will be energized to bring in the solenoid.

A note of caution. On the two wires in your photo that go to the EC control valve solenoid, one of them will be hot if the EC switch on the dash is turned on. Just be careful it does not short while you are working with them if the car is powered.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.55 KB)
209_5e86631bddbb7.jpg 640X573 px

jpg  (43.56 KB)
209_5e8665036c5a9.jpg 640X357 px

Posted on: 2020/4/2 17:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard,
Nice piece of information otherwise hidden from view. Referencing your picture and Big Kevs color wiring diagram, It looks like the green top wire needs to move to opposite corner (6) and swap "6" over to 4. "5" and "2" are good but the bottom connections likely have to move 1>3, 3>1. Having those numbers shown helps solve a part of the problem. There may be others.
Hate to sound ignorant on this car since I first rode in it 64 years ago, but I don't think this car has the electromatic clutch though fairly sure it has the R-9 trans. No switch on the dash references that option. Narraganset Wiring included that pair in the harness but they weren't sure if I needed it or could use it.
Thanks again John and Howard for shedding some light on the subject.
I'll dive in in earnest tomorrow...

stay tuned
Cheers

Posted on: 2020/4/2 17:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wondered about the car having EC as the linkage visible in the photo is not that needed for an EC control valve. Since I was not sure what you are referring to as an accelerator switch thought I would throw it out since it appears wiring was there for the EC solenoid. If the square switch in bottom photo is the one you are referring to, that is the OD kickdown sw. The proper labeled accelerator switch for EC operation is directly actuated by the accelerator linkage and is located higher up on the firewall -- below the coil and near the side of the OD relay.

Incidentally, I am not sure the wires are labeled correctly with the yellow tape. Cannot read all of them but the top photo has wires labeled OD lockout switch. On the 21st series R9 OD that switch is on the OD lockout knob assy under the dash so wires going to it would not be in the engine compt.

Here is a diagram of the 21-23 series EC.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.86 KB)
209_5e86723cafdee.jpg 1272X810 px

Posted on: 2020/4/2 18:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks for the info !

Posted on: 2020/4/3 1:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Once again, some of the mystery disappears, thanks to the drawings, photos, and, explanations. Apologies for my rudimentary descriptions...just going from memory, which is rapidly approaching max MB limit:)
Will be back with more questions I'm sure. Hoping to get past the short in overdrive relay wiring tomorrow, and then work down line from there.
The good news: at least the starting circuits work and with that in place I can turn the engine over briefly to circulate the oil. That has been a major concern.
Thanks again to all
Cheers

Posted on: 2020/4/3 15:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved