Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 94

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

GPS for 6-volt cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
You know over the last few years I have become more and more dependent on my GPS when driving a distance-I was wondering does anyone make a GPS for 6-volt cars?

Posted on: 2020/4/2 15:43
 Top  Print 

Re: GPS for 6-volt cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I would suggest spending about $20 and get a 6 to 12volt converter. Then you can use the 12 volt adapter for both your GPS and phone.

Posted on: 2020/4/2 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
An alternative is to fit a USB port in your car. You can get them now to run off 6V. They are also very cheap to buy. Presumably Chinese!

I use my smartphone maps to navigate in 6V cars, but only when I'm really lost because of limited battery life. I have a USB port in my 12V Clipper, which solves the problem nicely. My Garmin GPS will run off the cigar lighter.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/4/2 16:21
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I bought a 20,000 mAh battery with 4 USB ports. It will charge your phone and tablet several times before depleted. I think I can charge my phone 10 times before it needs to be charged. It's the size of a phone but about half an inch thick. I use it when traveling but also between my different Packards.

Posted on: 2020/4/3 8:27
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I certainly agree with BDC about the portable battery solution of powering modern electric devices. My wife and I both have 26.8K, 3 USB port, portable batteries and use them continuously. Later my wife thought the battery weight was a bit much and we bought a 10K unit (less weight and less capacity). She can roam all day without running out of power to recharge.

As a test, I plugged-in my Garmin into one of the larger portable battery and everything worked just like it was plugged into a 12V 'cigarette lighter' socket. I did run into one 'glitch'. The Garmin came with a power cable that had a small format USB connector at the GPS end, and a 'cigarette lighter' plug at the other. I used a cable from a Canon camera that had the same small format USB plug at the camera end, and the large rectangular USB connector that the battery has.

If you decide to go with the portable battery solution you will also have a pretty handy way to power your GPS, plus the ability of recharge phones (etc.) on the go. You may have to find a cable to make the GPS work, but the cable you'll need is pretty much standard.

dp

Posted on: 2020/4/3 11:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved