Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coachbuilt '28 533 Faux Cabriolet by Galle
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Among the many interesting images being posted on the AACA Forum, General Discussion topic, 'Period Images to Relieve some of the Stress' one gentleman has been sharing a wealth of wonderful pre-war images from his collection.

This Packard, best I can identify, is a '28 Six 533 with faux cabriolet by Galle, a French coachbuilder. It was displayed at a concours d'elegance. The faux cabriolet, so named because it was designed with the appearance of a convertible but the top didn't fold, was a popular style in Europe then.

It would be similar to the 2/4 coupes with padded leather or canvas tops, sometimes with landau irons, which weren't convertible. Note though, the configuration of this faux cabriolet looks much like the convertible Victoria, again a popular European style which took a while to catch on here.

Because of the tax structures, urban crowding, road conditions and import duty taxes, the Packard Six would have been considered even more of a luxury car. European coachbuilders frequently created custom bodies for chassis that wouldn't normally received them in America.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (90.64 KB)
409_5e909df7b79a4.jpg 1130X777 px

Posted on: 2020/4/10 11:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: Coachbuilt '28 533 Faux Cabriolet by Galle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Back in 1968 I had a 1930 Ford 'Faux Cabriolet'... Ford called it a Sport Coupe.
Not sure if the '28.-29 Model A had that body style, but I am sure all the Model A folks can answer that

Attach file:

jpg  (245.02 KB)
441_5e90fb46d4138.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2020/4/10 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I'll give that one a try.

My first reference is a pamphlet titled "Ford Model A Restoration Manual A-1" copyrighted 1955 by the Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Michigan.
In the available color section there are entries for the 1928 Sport Coupe, and 1930 Sport Coupe, but not for the 1929 & 1931 model years, But hold on there's more.

My second reference is a paperback titled "Model A Ford Restoration Handbook" a Clymer publication, seventh printing July, 1971
This book contains many of the side view drawings presented in the Ford publication, and also features photographs of vehicles. There are photos for the 1929 Sport Coupe (Model 50-A), there is also a photo of a 1931 Sport Coupe (Model 50-B)

The third reference is a third party maintenance manual titled "Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Volume 1" by Les Andrews.

In the specification section identifying the Model A body types lists:
Model 49-A Special Coupe 1928
Model 50-A Special Coupe 1928-1929
Model 50-B Special Coupe 1930-1931
Model 54-A Business Coupe 1928-1929

The Business Coupe was much like the Special Coupe but replaced the 'Landau Bars' with oval 'Opera Windows'. I suspect the appointments in the business configuration was more Spartan. The Special Coupe came with a rumble seat and fold down rear window, but I'll need to check but my expectation is a trunk with no fold down window in the business configuration.

The short answer to your question is yes. I also note you had a spare and left front tire from a later car. The touring crowd likes those later wheels because modern radials are available in those wheel sizes . . . not so for the 30 inch units on the 30-31 vehicles.

For those playing at home a Special Coupe was a coupe (full framed doors with roll-up windows) with a soft top. The top did not fold down. They came with rumble seats and a fold down rear window. The Roadster would have an operable top, but side curtains instead of roll-up windows . . . truly an open car. The Cabriolet has an operable convertible roof, frameless doors, and roll-up windows with chrome trim pieces where the window and top were in contact.

I have a bit of more research to do on the 49-A Special Coupe. My first guess is that is a very early '28 (aka an AR model) which featured a multi-disk clutch and a left mounted parking (emergency) brake lever, among a bunch of other things, but I've got to dig a little deeper, or go ask the AR experts in the club. There is a subset of the Model A folks that are in search of ultra-low numbered '28s, meaning the very first examples of Model As . . . They look about the same, but are surely different.

I happen to own a March 1930 Fordor (Murray Body) Town Sedan. Nice running car that is vying for attention along with the Packards. When compared with the Packards, the Model A is very easy to wrench and the parts cost no more than a late model modern.

dp

Posted on: 2020/4/10 20:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pac5
See User information
That door on that galle got to be 50 in or better.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 15:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved