Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 2126 model wiring question/diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard,
I'm pretty sure you are correct on the mis-labeling issue. At the tail end of the wiring harness as it connects to starter solenoid, the two R-G pair might be unnecessary at which point I will heat shrink the connections to avoid any possible contact. Out of one of the loom end runs, one R-G pair, and a single green wire with eye end, runs out in engine compartment. Pretty sure that is the correct area for that portion of loom run since the wires connected to starter solenoid are exiting just prior to the R-G pair and Green single wire. There isn't much excess wire in at the starter solenoid connection.
The green single wire is labeled "direct speed switch" and one of your diagram/drawings shows the "direct speed"switch possibly associated with the electromagnetic clutch (which I think we determined the car isn't equipped with). Just trying to clarify where that single green might connect if it connects at all. It is long enough to reach the forward end of engine. Not sure if it would reach to switch for overdrive at transmission location. Scratchin' head again but meanwhile busy sorting out wiring fiasco from resto shop. Won't even go into details but the wiring at OD solenoid was completely reversed. Hoping I haven't lost a coil or other damaged circuit.
Cheers
Bob

Posted on: 2020/4/9 12:26
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The single green with ring terminal should go to the direct speed switch and can be covered as can each individual wire in the other two pairs that have bullet type terminals. Heat shrink would be best. One of the pairs should go to the solenoid on the control valve and the other pair would go to the accelerator switch. If present, that switch would be mounted on the firewall below the coil and near the inner side of OD relay. There should also be an extra wire at the governor which can be hooked up to the EC pigtail but will be unused. It's other end will be one of the covered pair going to the accelerator switch.

Here is a layout of where the components would have been if you want to neatly dress the wire bundles accordingly.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.51 KB)
209_5e8f6a9acf937.jpg 942X746 px

Posted on: 2020/4/9 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
None of the equipment in picture above is present so I will cap off the green with eye (heat shrink) as well as the 2 (?) G/R pairs. I did find a red cable not connected at the OD/EC control. The shop had labeled it "governor". Guess that can be capped as well.
Have traced out the OD lockout switch wiring located on lockout cable next to wheel. One wire going to the accelerator switch at carburetor (carburetor switch) black/red tracer. Haven't traced the other one yet.
ohmed out the wiring from generator to voltage regulator and all seems fine.
Still a bit confused from Big Kev's wiring diagram as it has an "ignition" switch (key)to coil, also has a "starter switch/car starter" along with a "throttle switch"
Guessing throttle switch and carburetor switch are the same but wondering what the "starter switch is referring to. The diagram resembles the carburetor switch in configuration and wiring but.....
Also, the carburetor switch shows continuity with minor resistance prior to advancing throttle linkage...? seems a bit odd.
In another week, I do have the owner of my local car shop who has agreed to spend a morning or afternoon sorting thru the starting issue. He has a '38 Packard that is about 90% restored and is somewhat familiar with the brand at least. Just trying to get as many questions answered as possible prior to that. Thanks for your patience.
Bob

Posted on: 2020/4/9 15:43
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The colored AEA style wiring diagram is not the best but it does sort of have most of the switches laid out in kind of a birds eye view of their location on the car.

Nothing from the OD lockout switch should connect to the carburetor switch if you are referring to the switch on the back of the carb as the carburetor switch. That is the starter switch and if the repro loom colors are correct, there should be a black wire from the ignition switch going to the terminal on the fender side of the switch and another black wire from the other terminal on the switch to one of the small screw terminals above the large battery and starter motor studs on the starter solenoid. The other small screw terminal connects to the regulator A or GEN terminal if the safety circuit is still connected.

The throttle switch in the diagram is the sort of square switch with a plunger that is mounted low on the firewall and is actuated by the accelerator linkage. That one is more commonly known as the OD kickdown switch. One of it's wires does go to the OD lockout switch, the other wire on the throttle or kickdown sw is from the pigtail labeled OD in the photo of the governor bottom.

Here is a factory diagram showing a different view of the switches along with the wire colors. It is somewhat harder to follow than the colored AEA diagram because you need to find the number of the wire in the circle and relate it to the list that shows the color and the to and from location. The other diagram is the Autolite starter solenoid used on the 356 showing the safety circuit and how the relay gets ground thru the generator.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 731.29 KB; Hits: 56

jpg  (78.93 KB)
209_5e8fa0825182b.jpg 1000X797 px

Posted on: 2020/4/9 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Howard,
The Fog Has Lifted.
Your last post defined the problem in a number of ways. Thanks for clarifying that the "carburetor switch"= starter switch, and that Throttle switch=OD kick down switch or as I called it initially, the "accelerator switch"
With that clarification, I was able to look at both the colored wiring (birds eye view) diagram and your 46/47 wiring schematic with color coding reference and it all made sense.
Aside from the reversed wiring the shop did on the solenoid relay (456-123) connections, there were other areas that were not addressed as in grounding the generator to Light junction ground terminals.
Also, for what ever reason, the often referenced OD solenoid and OD/EC device became the "governor" which is easier to understand.
Multimeter and long alligator clip wire and I will make sure that continuity is correct in all the ignition series wiring components.
Hope to light this candle sometime next week. Thanks again
Cheers,
Sparky....lol
PS....in case any watching were wondering...my son ties my shoes:)

Posted on: 2020/4/10 13:11
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved