Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

James Kiplinger
See User information
How do I tell if my clipper is a custom or a Constellation?

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:15
Thanks,

James
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In the Main Menu, on the RH side of the screen, under Main Menu, is Packard Model Info section. Described in there are all the Packard models from the beginning to the end. It is a good source of information and easy to use.

The Constellations were the 2-door Hardtop models and were the top of the Clipper line in 1955 and 56. The Customs were the 4-door Sedan models and were also the top of the line for those years. The Executive model line essentially replaced the Custom/Constellation models in 1956.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Constellations were 2-door hardtops in the Clipper Custom series. There was also the Clipper Custom 4-door sedan.

In the Super series was the 2-door hardtop Panama and also a 4-door sedan and both the Super and Custom has the same outside appearance so the identification charts pointed out above are the best way to tell if the emblems are missing from inside and outside of the car.

Later in 1956 the Clipper Custom in both body styles was discontinued and became the Packard Executive. It had the Packard nose, emblems and different side trim than the Clipper but otherwise resembled it.

There was also the Clipper Deluxe which was only a 4-door sedan and had simpler trim than its two siblings.

Remember, for 1956 only, Clipper was a separate make so if you're titling one, be sure that the make is shown as Clipper, not Packard.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Easter Greetings, Don.

Yes, interesting point you make about titling a 1956 Clipper. My 1956 RHD Clipper Deluxe was first registered (titled) in Australia. It has the small Packard badge on the trunk (see pic), and was registered here as a Packard. All the documentation says "Clipper". Guess it's a bit like many of the earlier Packards which were titled with the TPN. Of course, both are wrong but perhaps not surprising.

Another little twist is that the Clipper needed an engine number for registration here. I was told that one - V571150P - was stamped in a visible spot (see pic). I don't know whether the V8 engines had a factory number on them or where it might have been located. Perhaps you or Owen-Dyneto will know? The frame number - per the plate - is 56226194.

I guess the dealer who sold my Clipper new here called it a Packard on the registration (title) to help justify the price! And Packard seemed to backpedal a bit themselves by (reportedly) handing out the Packard badges to Clipper owners in 1956.

Odd behaviour occurs when things are not going well. So all of this is perhaps not so surprising.

Cheers

Brian

Attach file:

jpeg  (155.37 KB)
191498_5e9269a8739a6.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (184.10 KB)
191498_5e9269c0bc3ed.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:07
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Serial number location information can be found in the Packard Engine Serial Number Reference document here, on Site, in the Packard Literature and Manuals section.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The number stamped on the driver side forward door jamb is properly called the vehicle number, Packard had ceased routinely assigning frame numbers well before WW II. If the engine is original to the car, the same number would have been stamped on the engine, front/center, near the base of the oil filler tube (partially visible in your second photo).

One does occasionally hear of a Packard that was titled later in its life by the TPN, though its quite rare. Far more often a motor number was substituted for the vehicle number.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Guys

That's interesting. The number stamped on the front of the engine block (next to the oil breather tube) starts with "V" which is not listed anywhere as a prefix for the Utica numbers. I haven't crawled around under the car to see if there is another number, but will do so and let you know.

The engine number stamped on the block is "V571150P". Also, the engine is painted red, but that may date back to when the car was restored in the mid-1980s. This engine number bears no resemblance to the car number - on the door jamb plate - which is 56226194.

I'm pretty certain that the engine has never been changed.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting indeed! It will be interesting to see what if any clarity the Utica engine number adds to the picture.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As a VIN verifier, I'm not allowed to use engine numbers unless there is no other option and if there isn't, it means that the VIN plate is not valid so sends all sorts of red flags to our DMV. Yes, I have had the engine number on some of my own titles but it is not the number that is supposed to be used for identifying the vehicle! As for the Clipper, my 1956 is titled Clipper and has been that way for many decades but all I had when purchased was a string of bills or sale, all of which said Packard. It was no trouble licensing it that way.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 20:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Dave

Hope the Easter Bunny came to your place. Maybe still on the way, given the time difference.

Doctors say chocolate is good for you. Who am I to argue?

Registration documents in Australia offer the option of chassis or VIN number, hence the odd nomenclature. The vehicle plate on this car is in the usual location - left hand front door jamb looking forward - despite being a right hand drive car.

Engine numbers are part of the registration details here, so a change of engine has to be notified to the registration authority and the new number recorded. For older cars with no VIN number, a chassis number is also required. This does not mean the car actually has a number on the chassis (or even has a chassis), just that it's pre-VIN. Sometimes an inspection is required following an engine change to ensure everything is in order, before the change is approved.

I will ferret around under the car for any other (eg Utica) engine number/s.

Cheers

Brian

PS Had a quick look for other engine numbers. There's nothing else at the front of the block as shown in the pic at Engine Serial Number Reference on this site. The number stamped at the front of the block looks like an afterthought, but would have been required for registration here. No sign of any other number ever having been stamped there. I can't see the lower part of the engine because of the pressed metal shield underneath. Will try using a mirror down the side in the engine bay, when I find a suitable one. BW

Posted on: 2020/4/11 21:24
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved