Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Packard gas tank sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My tank is the 17 gal tank - 2262 Deluxe Turing Sedan - Thanks

Posted on: 2020/3/23 17:01
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

tvrpman
See User information
I just purchased a complete new gas tank for my 53 Clipper. New
not rebuilt for $349.00 and a new sending unit for $45.00. The tank and sending unit were a perfect fit. Auto City Classics
28433 Highway 65 NE Isanti Minnesota. Phone # 763 444 5880
Fax# 763444 5985. The tank is a direct replacement for 51 thru
56 Packards.

Posted on: 2020/4/10 19:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Tvrpman:

Could you add the two part numbers that Auto City Classics uses for these parts? I found the tank, but got a bit lost paging through the sending units.

Thanks dp

Posted on: 2020/4/10 20:40
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

tvrpman
See User information
part numbers

tank TS5156P 51 thru 56 Packard Fuel Tank $349.00
F34 Sender F34 Fuel Sending Unit 45.00
This was purchased by me 4-1-2020

Posted on: 2020/4/11 10:14
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

tvrpman
See User information
Give them a call that is what I did and they knew the right part and price including the tax and shipping cost they can take order over phone with credit card shipping was 65.00 and tax was 28.69

Posted on: 2020/4/11 10:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah I bought a new gas tank from Auto City last year. I also popped for the tank straps too.
I would think someone smarter than me could figure a way of making a circuit to adapted the gas gauge to a newer resistance type sender, to where the a circuit could use the resistance reading to pulse the signal to the gas gauge.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 11:35
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

tvrpman
See User information
All Packards 51 thru 56 had 20 gallon tanks this tank will fit your car the tanks were all the same

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:43
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

tvrpman
See User information
All Packards 51 thru 56 had 20 gallon tanks this tank will fit your car the tanks were all the same the sending uni
Works great

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1951 tank was the last to use the fill-whistle which the reproductions doesn't have. Otherwise they are the same.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 12:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
Yeah I bought a new gas tank from Auto City last year. I also popped for the tank straps too.
I would think someone smarter than me could figure a way of making a circuit to adapted the gas gauge to a newer resistance type sender, to where the a circuit could use the resistance reading to pulse the signal to the gas gauge.

Some have tried but I believe the closest to finding something was Tinman who did a lot of experimenting. I think he got the sender ohm range figured out but not sure if he was entirely successful with the lack of pulsing and no gauge cooling time between pulses as to whether the gauge was stable over a long period. He ultimately chose to use a set of repro gauges in his car and the senders they required was modern so not sure there was a further need for the old sender or any more experiments.

It was the 48-50 models that used the pulsing on/off type senders and I believe those were the only years that used that type sender. Most other years used straight resistance but the values did change over the years depending on who they bought the gauges from. 51-6 King-Seeley uses senders with approx 73 ohms empty and 10 full which is the same as some Ford and Chrysler models used while 42-7 Clippers with the S-W gauges had the old S-W range of 100 ohms empty and 0 full.

Posted on: 2020/4/11 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved