Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Pipesargent, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 47 Electromatic Clutch Linkages
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes Howard, it looks like somebody put the wrong vacuum controller in the box with the rest of the spare parts I got with the car. I'll have to look around a little more and see if I might have the correct unit but I don't think so. It looks like they might have been going off the Parts book and that has pictures of a vacuum controller of a 1942 if I'm reading the Parts book correct. Also the mounting holes don't line-up. So, so much for that project. Or if there is someone that has pull one off and doesn't need it any more I sure could use it. (Hint, Hint, out in Packard land).
So Thanks again Howard and the rest of you for your time.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/5 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks for the pictures -

Posted on: 2020/4/14 0:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I had thought it might be interesting to add one of these control units to my 1946 Packard..... Hint hint....

Posted on: 2020/4/14 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Downside to just adding a show valve if that is the intent is the valve assys are part of the linkage and are engine specific. You will also need to source the proper rods and pieces or modify something to get the complete range or movement for the control valve portion of the linkage so the outgoing movement and ratio is correct for the linkage continuing on to the carb.

Posted on: 2020/4/14 9:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
So there are some diffences between the 6, 8 and super 8 in linkage etc...?

Posted on: 2020/4/14 15:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can look thru the parts book to see the exact number of pieces that might be affected but as I remember there is a short and long length between 6 and 8 and maybe different shape of the first rod between the accelerator firewall connection to valve assy. Believe the cross piece over the top of engine is a different shape or has a different mount bracket between the engines and also length again of the carb side rod due to the different carbs on the engines.

Posted on: 2020/4/14 15:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My car is a 1948 2262 with overdrive and Electromatic clutch. Still trying to sort it all out, but the Electromatic clutch assembly looks a lot different than the posted pictures Anyone know why ? I think all the parts are there , just not wired up -

Posted on: 2020/4/14 19:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two versions of the EC valve assy and they look and operate quite different. The prewar version has two or three solenoids and is complex electrically and mechanically with switches and relays changing solenoid combinations to change spring pressures along with accelerator linkage position to control engagement speed etc. The postwar version is much simpler and has an on/off switch and 2 switches which only control one solenoid that just cuts the vacuum on and off. The engagement action is predominately all being done via accelerator position controlling a spool valve inside the mechanism.

You can download the training manuals to see the differences. The manual for the prewar version is item 70 in the Service, Shop and Training Manual category entitled Electromatic Training Book. The postwar version which should be on your car and is shown in the photos in post #2 of this thread is item 67 entitled Clutch and Electromatic Clutch.

Posted on: 2020/4/14 20:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
So. which years of Packard used the prewar version and which years used the postwar version ? Guess I should be glad I have a 1948 -

Posted on: 2020/4/14 21:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Prewar version was thru 42 and while I believe almost all postwars used the second version, based on a couple of people saying they had earlier equipped cars there is a question on whether the very first few 21st 46s might have had the prewar instead of the postwar version. Since that early version also requires a different top cover on the trans to operate some switches it is not that easy of project to add it in the field. My 47 has the postwar and by 48 it was surely the only one available.

Posted on: 2020/4/14 21:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved