Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Nickel Plated Front Cowl and Hood
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi All,

I was chatting with a fellow GTO owner (I know not a Packard) today and he mention riding in Packard's when he was youth.

One particular Packard he mentioned (not one that he had ridden in but was aware of) was a Nickle Plated Front end from the cowl forward. He said this car came out of Mexico and was owned by a big Packard collector Howard Henry.

Has anyone heard of Howard Henry or knows anything about the Nickle Plated Packard?

Pictures of the car?

The other gent he mentioned was a Joe Duggan who also had a large collection of cars.

Take care my Packard friends.
Stay well so we all can hit the high road soon.

Posted on: 2020/4/15 9:44
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Nickel Plated Front Cowl and Hood
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Really straining my memory here, was it a Joe Duggan whose extensive collection of classic-era Packards was destroyed in that catastrophic fire that formed the basis for that well-know J. C. Taylor advertisement? I'm thinking back to the early 1960s.

Posted on: 2020/4/15 11:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Maybe?
http://test.auburnheights.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2014_02-10.pdf

Maybe?
https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/howard-henry-customs/#.XpdCAchKiUk

Way in the back of my gray matter i remember a photo of a PACKARD with a chrome hood.
YEAR ? Remembered being amazed at how they could plate such a large piece. Bathtub PACKARD ????

Posted on: 2020/4/15 12:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
The Packard in question is this one, a 1927 Packard 3-36 dual-windshield sport phaeton by Holbrook. It sold at a Bonham's auction in France about a decade ago. Unforgettable design!

BTW, it was a polished aluminum hood and belt-line.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (63.24 KB)
409_5e976067a1039.jpg 640X387 px

jpg  (55.35 KB)
409_5e97607600fdb.jpg 640X242 px

jpg  (68.01 KB)
409_5e9760844756a.jpg 640X404 px

Posted on: 2020/4/15 14:29
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Thanks guys. I knew you all would come through on this one.

It sure is interesting and intriguing of the customization and design features that individuals did to their beloved Packard's.

I have shared this thread with him.

Again

Posted on: 2020/4/15 19:34
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think it was Fred Duggan. JC Taylor made a big deal about the claim because they were thrilled to write a check for cars that were underinsured. I don't know the details of the cars only that one was a Custom Super Clipper and another was a station wagon both of which didn't burn up. One that did burn up was the Roosevelt parade car. The garage was probably an arson case because the place also stored boats. As the fire moved through the building the horn of each car that was burning would go off. After the fire the crankcases were all melted and the motor remnants were sitting on the floor. (on second thought, it was boat engines sitting on the floor where a boat once was)

Back to the plated hood thing, there were a few of those special jobs put out. I don't know where they went, but the sedans that made it into the 1950's probably were turned into touring cars.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 7:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes Tim, Stu Blond has corrected my memory and it was indeed Fred Duggan, not Joe Duggan. And the real loss was the Roosevelt Packard.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Holbrook worked in aluminum over an ash wood framing which was standard practice for custom coachbuilders. From the 'Holbrook' article by Hugo Pfau, Cars & Parts magazine, August 1972, page 76, this sport phaeton was part of Holbrook's exhibit during November-December 1927 Custom Salons. He identified it as a '28 443, though this one is a '27 336. Custom coachbuilders carried designs over from season to season. Here is the color rendering from the Holbrook advertisement in the Salon catalog. From the article:

"They had Packard Sport Phaetons at both the 1927 and 1928 New York Salons which featured extensive use of polished aluminum."

As a '27 336, while a factory-bodied four passenger Sport model isn't in the catalogue styles, this '27 essentially is the same chassis spec's. Imho, a full-custom bodied 336 is about as desirable a '20's Packard as they come.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (58.07 KB)
409_5e98763b4fcc8.jpg 987X437 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 10:16
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That car in the pictures bugs me. It looks like a fake.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2020/4/17 9:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved