Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Inline 12 to V-12?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
Just watched an episode where Wayne Carini sold his '18 "twin-six" and was wondering in what year was the switch made? Bob

Posted on: 2020/4/16 12:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Inline 12 to V-12?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Switch from what to what?

If you're thinking an in-line 12 was a production car at some point, the answer is no. There was one and only one in-line 12 Packard, a factory experimental. It was rather quickly re-engined with a conventional 8 cylinder and sold off quietly in South America, apparently. The first production Packard V12 of 1915 thru 1924 was called the Twin Six as it was the successor to their six, and the second V12 which came out in 1932 was called a Twin Six for just that first year, was called the Twelve thereafter.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 13:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Either it would need really small piston bores or was a really long engine to have 12 cylinders in a row......

Posted on: 2020/4/16 16:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2020/4/16 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Was listed as 3.5 bore x 5" stroke....

Posted on: 2020/4/16 16:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Many years ago I read of another Packard straight 12 in a '50s era car that was supposedly driven by the wife of a Packard executive. Since the first Packard book I had was Turnquist's original printing of The Packard Story, I suspect I read it there but I recall a mention that there were no known photos and that details were sketchy.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 16:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
The Monoblock Twelve was owned by Warren Packard II, son of the company co-founder William Doud Packard. He (and maybe his wife) drove it during 1929. He was killed late in 1929 in a plane crash, and the car was sold back to the Packard Motor Car Company.

The complete story of the Monoblock Twelve was told in The Packard Cormorant #103 (published in 2001), which is available from The Packard Club <www.packardclub.org>

Posted on: 2020/4/16 16:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Monobloc Twelve engine. The original Johnson carburetors were later replaced with Detroit Lubricators.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.95 KB)
177_5e98da83dcd36.jpg 720X520 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
If you love big engines, gotta have them HP's, need lots'a cylinders (up to 14), with unspeakable amount of torque. then diesel fuel might be what you are looking for. While it doesn't produce many RPMs and definitely would fit in a Packard you are in the wrong wheel house. To see a monster click on BIG.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 2:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Bob (toymanbob), ignore the cacophony above, please. Did you really mean "inline 12 to V-12" as written in the subject?

-> This way to the "1932 Packard, once owned by FDR, restored by Wayne Carini of velocity network's Chasing Classic Cars".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/999GE6oW7Xk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2020/4/18 9:09
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved