Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 44 »

Re: Ken's 1937 120 Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
The needle bearings are original style. Most, if not all, of the reproduction/new kits supply a bushing because someone (and I won't mention my name) has bought up all the NOS needle bearings (no longer available from any source I have found, but I haven't had to look in years). The pin will have worn grooves from the needles before the bearings wear out, usually due to not being greased, which is the nice thing about the original needle bearings, as you can see, a grease fitting right on the end...so if your pin moves smoothly, likely no replacement required.

Excellent, and thanks! I do have to replace one grease zerk, because I dropped the part, and it got all beat up on the end, but that's about it.

Also, while I'm in there, I'll replace the bushing where the spindle attaches to the shock, because it's worn.

Edit: the driver's side shock is junk. I only have about 1.5" of travel, and doesn't seem to dampen. It is also filled with grease, not oil. Passenger side seems fine. Any reason, other than dollars, to do both?

Posted on: 2020/4/19 13:21
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yeah, to spare your postal delivery person the pain of delivering a medium flat rate box with two shocks...barely fit, but I've done it, with plenty of fiberglass reinforced tape or the box won't make it there...

Posted on: 2020/4/19 16:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pepepackard
See User information
Hello Ken,
Sorry for the delay in responding had a few technical problems with the system.The hot box should also be machined to ensure a good seal. I also used graphite powder on the surfaces that move.
If you need any parts for your 120c I may be able to assist,the mail system at the moment is via snail and not cheap, however I think I have the Torrington needle bearing for the king pins and other bits that you may need. So if David Flack can't help you out with the parts I may be able to.
Regards Fred

Posted on: 2020/4/21 4:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

pepepackard wrote:
Hello Ken,
Sorry for the delay in responding had a few technical problems with the system.The hot box should also be machined to ensure a good seal. I also used graphite powder on the surfaces that move.
If you need any parts for your 120c I may be able to assist,the mail system at the moment is via snail and not cheap, however I think I have the Torrington needle bearing for the king pins and other bits that you may need. So if David Flack can't help you out with the parts I may be able to.
Regards Fred

Fred, thanks! All good on parts- I checked out my lower outer pivots, and they are both tight and smooth. The grease zerk I beat up is even still serviceable, so good to go.

The manifolds are at the machine shop now. Has anyone had good luck replacing the hot box gasket with a hot box blank off plate? I was thinking if I cut one from thin copper, it would be soft enough to seal, but heat resistant enough to not blow out. Thoughts? I don't think stainless steel would seal up, and I don't want any more leaks!

I also went to inspect the water pump again last night. Fully backed off the packing gland, and could find no evidence of packing anywhere. The pump also had a grease zerk fitted above the packing cavity instead of a spring-cap oiler. I am wondering if it has been fitted with a bearing and seal? It seems to leak intermittently. Some days, it will leak about a pint of coolant over the course of a day, other days not. I realized that it is the same pump as a 115c, and I have a new in-box spare from my old car, so I will install that and see if it fixes the problem.

I have a new shock sourced, and spindles at the machine shop, so I should be able to start this phase of the re-assembly soon!

Posted on: 2020/4/21 9:54
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ken P wrote:......The manifolds are at the machine shop now. Has anyone had good luck replacing the hot box gasket with a hot box blank off plate? I was thinking if I cut one from thin copper, it would be soft enough to seal, but heat resistant enough to not blow out. Thoughts? I don't think stainless steel would seal up, and I don't want any more leaks!.....
Ken,

Been there and done that. Made a copper plate for Big Red, Wade's '37 Super 8 Club Sedan a few years back, not the same as your 120 but similar. At the time Wade mentioned he'd previously made a stainless steel plate for another application. See this post from the Wade's Workshop Blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.87 KB)
226_5e9f7f61167bd.jpg 872X654 px

Posted on: 2020/4/21 18:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Been there and done that. Made a copper plate for Big Red, Wade's '37 Super 8 Club Sedan a few years back, not the same as your 120 but similar. At the time Wade mentioned he'd previously made a stainless steel plate for another application.

Thanks Mal! I'm assuming on the block off plates, you just sandwiched it into the hot box instead of the gasket, and no leaks?

I'll have to give it a shot, assuming one can get supplies in this current unusual state of things.

Got a little bit more done last night. Started re-assembling the suspension, will finish the drivers side lower arm today, and then be waiting for my new shock to arrive and parts from the machnist.

Also cleaned out the wheel bearings, ready to re-pack. Wheel seals should get here today; the old ones were more modern than leather, but still pretty old, and completely shot.

More re-assembly today, and then waiting for parts! I thought I hit the jackpot yesterday on floorboard screws at fastenal, but they were all obsolete, and I would have had to order everything in lots of 100. Seems a bit much for 3 screws. I'll covert 4 screws to 1/4-20, since the originals are 1/4-28 and I can't find any 1/4-28x1.5" slotted flat head machine screws.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 7:56

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ken P wrote:......Mal! I'm assuming on the block off plates, you just sandwiched it into the hot box instead of the gasket, and no leaks?.....
Ken,

From memory, which is a bit hazy after 10 years, that's all we did.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 15:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
What is the point of blocking it off? Isn't it a dead-end cavity anyway? If so, I can see that blocking it off does anything.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
What is the point of blocking it off? Isn't it a dead-end cavity anyway?

Blocking it off is cleaner than wiring shut the manifold heat riser valve and completely isolates the intake manifold hot box. The heat riser isn't really needed with today's more volatile fuels, plus I don't really drive the car in inclement weather.

I had some running issues when the heat riser was sticking in intermediate positions.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ken, I can't entirely agree with your statement that today's fuels obviate the need for a functioning manifold heat riser. On these older carbureted engines, if you drive in the colder seasons, engine performance is greatly improved with a functioning riser as the engine goes from cold start-up to normal operating temperatures. I say this based on experiences with both the '34 and '56 Packards.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 44 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved