Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 46 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's exactly what I'm hoping to avoid!

Posted on: 2020/3/25 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
However, as it is it would likely get scrapped or hot-rodded so I'm trying to make it mostly complete and driveable in order to give it a better chance to survive intact.

Amen! Not every old car is a viable "full" restoration candidate these days with the sky high cost of parts and labor. But as you say, you are giving this car a high likelihood of survival, and that's what is important.

To me at least, it's more fun to have a car that's not perfect but can be driven and enjoyed, versus a car that is so perfect that it just sits covered up in the garage.

Keep saving them Don!

Posted on: 2020/3/25 21:19
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I'm not currently at the shop, I'm still working on the car remotely by obtaining parts that it needs. One such part is the exhaust tail pipe which isn't there at all so nothing to use as a pattern and it is not even similar to the tail pipe used on passenger cars. Not only is it considerably longer but it also has bends that locate the part behind the axle along the right chassis rather than straight out between the spare tire well and gas tank.

Having said that, I DO have the original blueprint but so far I've not found anyone with the ability to make the pipe from it. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Years back, small exhaust shops could eliminate the need for an extensive inventory of pipes by just stocking a few different diameters and lengths and using a machine called
(IIRC) a Luth Bend-o-Graph. The machine formed a finished pipe from a set of dimensions programmed into it via IBM punchcards. If such a machine were in use today, I suppose a clever person who had the importance dimensions could program it to make just about any configuration.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
From what I gather, Classic Tube has a similar machine as a CNC for bending tubes but they can't do anything as large as a tail pipe.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might contact one of the classic exhaust people such as Waldron or a vendor who does most of his business on ebay such as this one and see if they might have the pattern or info or maybe even could use your print.

If that is a non starter then I would imagine the exhaust system is the same from the manifold up to and including the muffler. If you could get a sedan print you could compare the two and if similar enough perhaps order a premade exhaust for a 127" Patrician or 300 and install as much of that as possible. If the tail pipe bends are a similar distance from the bumper a local muffler shop could probably either add a length to extend the premade tail pipe to move the bend back or make a new tailpipe to fit.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 16:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's only the tail pipe that I need and it is entirely different than any sedans. Waldron is the company I've been talking with but I think that the blueprint intimidated them as it requires knowledge of trigonometry to be able to come up with some off the bends so I've not heard from them since sending it. The car is in an extremely rural location so it bit going anywhere!

Posted on: 2020/4/22 17:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Share your blurprint with Borla East, I'm reasonably confident they could make it. Google Borla East for contact info

Posted on: 2020/4/22 17:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is the exhaust pipe for your car for that model only, or does it fit other years and models?

Posted on: 2020/4/22 18:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had tried Borla East but their site's contact form crashes with an ugly server error and, as I'm hearing impaired, I can't simply call them.

Yes, the tail pipe fits only 2413, 2513, 2613 and 5413. These cars are on the 156" wheelbase and everything about them is huge including the tail pipe. On passenger cars, it goes straight out from the muffler, over the axle, then between the spare tire well and gas tank but on the Henney coaches, it goes over the axle, then angles to the right and follows the frame out to the rear. Even the part that humps over the axle is different since the axle itself is huge!

UPDATE: I found Borla's direct email when I stopped looking at Borla East and have sent them a note so we'll see what happens.

Posted on: 2020/4/22 19:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 46 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved