Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Nickel Plated Front Cowl and Hood
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if there is still any interest, but I finally came across the J. C. Taylor ad about the Fred Duggan Fire.

Attach file:

jpg  (352.42 KB)
177_5ea30e0604b54.jpg 1484X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/4/24 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I am amazed of the knowledge you all have on here and the information that is out there.

PackardInfo.com what would we do with out it.

Kudos to you all and thanks

Wow what a shame to loose all that to a fire. Belongings can be replaced but us living beings can not.

Posted on: 2020/4/24 12:15
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Just curious, but has anyone heard of a Packard that was burned this badly being restored because it was such a rare classic?

Posted on: 2020/4/24 12:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1934 1106 LeBaron Sport Coupe that Ralph Marano restored many years ago had been very badly damaged by fire, but based on pictures I recall seeing, the damage was extensive but not nearly to the extent of the Duggan incident. I'll look for my pictures, or you can ask Ralph for details.

But there is so little in the remains of the Duggan cars that could practically have found its way into a restoration, could you really call the result a restoration?

Posted on: 2020/4/24 13:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Roosevelt car had bullet proof doors made out of magnesium so they burned up.

The sad part was all of the cars were low mileage originals. The assumption was a boat owner burned the place down to collect insurance, but if the cars didn't have the batteries disconnected somebody could have been playing with the dome lights or something and started the fire.

Billy Hirsch had a Cadillac 75 catch fire because the hand brake ratchet caught the dome light harness. After that he was a disconnect switch believer.

As for the chrome hoods, here is one that survived into the 1960's and was probably chopped to make a touring car or roadster.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.80 KB)
373_5ea3a8039bfad.jpg 597X268 px

Posted on: 2020/4/24 21:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Dave and Tim,

There is that tipping point between what is a restoration and what is a recreation.

I do think that the rustorations popularized on Americans Pickers can be very cool. (Don't send hate mail re AP.) The parts are all original, and look it, but the car functions. Everything works.

Sometimes they change out the engine to something modern. The fascination may be from the cruising days when guys would take a stock late '40s or early '50s dorky sedan and put some full blown monster under the hood to fake out the chopped, channeled and raked hot rods with flames that had names like Miss Lizzy.

Posted on: 2020/4/25 10:32
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved