Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Overdrive Lockout Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Can someone explain why the wiring on the 1948-49 Overdrive Lockout Switch ( 22nd series ) is different than the wiring on the 1949-50 Overdrive Lockout Switch ( 23rd series ) ?

Posted on: 2020/4/24 22:11
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Overdrive Lockout Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For maybe the 40-42 and definitely for the postwar 46-50 units the switch is the same item but is wired differently for the R9 vs the R11 OD.

For the R9 which was used until mid 48 the switch is in the ground side and will interrupt the ground supplied by the governor so the relay can not operate when OD is locked out. The kickdown sw is in series with the lockout sw and also opens ground to the relay so it and the solenoid can drop out when kickdown is desired.

For the mid 48-50 R11 units it is in the power side and cuts power from the ign switch to the relay so relay will not energize when OD is locked out. The kickdown sw stayed in the ground side but was changed to a dual function switch due to the much simpler relay and overall electrics on the R11.

Posted on: 2020/4/24 23:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Overdrive Lockout Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Ok - I think I got it -

Posted on: 2020/4/25 0:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved