Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 super clipper carburator problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear all, we have used a overhaul kit for the Carter WDO. the engine is complete overhauled too. new piston, bearings etc..engine runs smooth, starts well. ideling, acceleration, all is fine. starter switch works well. But if the engine has got the right temperature the engine stops running during shifting. To explain this: during shifting, i have not my right foot on the accelerator pedal. the engine turns slower then idle speed and wents out. what could be the reason? if she is running with the automatic cold start flap closed, no problem. only if she is hot. the throttle shaft bushing situation is not like new, i guess you could imagine this. but could this be the reason? do you have got any ideas?

Posted on: 2020/4/27 16:11
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 super clipper carburator problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Josef;

It sounds like a simple idle speed adjustment might solve the stalling. Double check the timing first, and then begin increasing the idle speed via the adjustment screw. Be advised that the idle speed and idle mixture adjustments do have interaction, meaning once you have the idle speed close to the desired value, then re-verify the mixture adjustments.

See the attached PDF file for the location of the idle adjustments on a WDO.

dp

Attach file:

pdf Size: 311.17 KB; Hits: 59

Posted on: 2020/4/27 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Good suggestions from David,
When I set the idle on my 53 clipper, I set the idle speed at about 500 or 550 rpm.
I also used a vacuum gauge to achieve the highest vac at idle. This is a cheap and good tool for setting idle on these cars. CO level was about 3% if you have a CO meter to test the exhaust. Sounds like you might just be lean at idle.

Here is a link to my blog when I set the idle.
MyBlog-IdleSetting

I think these carbs don't wear out the butterfly shafts out as fast as solex carburetors, or other german cars that have single butterflys per cylinder. I would not worry about the bushings and shafts, but tune/check your vacuum at idle with a gauge.
Viele Gr??e,
Mike

Posted on: 2020/4/28 1:31
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
dear all, thank you very much. i will make some trials with increased idle speed. i will let you know. thank you very much.

Posted on: 2020/4/28 3:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Does your car still have its manifold drain? That is a tube coming out of the base of the intake manifold to drain out petrol if the engine is flooded. It has a fitting at the lower end with a check valve in it. If that check valve leaks air it will lean your mixture at idle --sometimes-- and cause stalling.

Posted on: 2020/4/28 6:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
no it doesn?t have this drain. there is only the vacuum connection pipe for radio antenna etc. BR Josef

Posted on: 2020/4/28 10:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved