Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Autobike
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Has anyone seen the bicycle that the guy mounted a Maytag twin cylinder on? There is a video on YouTube.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bicycle+powered+by+maytag+2+cylinder+engine&qs=n&sp=-1&pq=bicycle+powered+by+maytag+2+cylinder+engine&sc=1-43&sk=&cvid=F18A20B473C547FF8F0B92B3E127AAD4&sid=39C276153B3D649A1ED178A83AED6549&jsoncbid=3&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dbicycle%2520powered%2520by%2520maytag%25202%2520cylinder%2520engine%26qs%3dn%26form%3dQBRE%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dbicycle%2520powered%2520by%2520maytag%25202%2520cylinder%2520engine%26sc%3d1-43%26sk%3d%26cvid%3dF18A20B473C547FF8F0B92B3E127AAD4&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=64AF9BE2C2CFA69D910C64AF9BE2C2CFA69D910C&FORM=WRVORC

Posted on: 2020/5/1 12:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Leeedy wrote:....Guess who the guy is riding the Whizzerized Schwinn in the photo below?.....
Leon,
You gave the game name away in the photo itself!

Attach file:

jpg  (95.74 KB)
226_5eac6e8facec1.jpg 600X724 px

Posted on: 2020/5/1 13:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That's a cool Youtube video, John. You would think the guy could have jury-rigged an old chain guard or something over that open flywheel and belt - it looks like an accident waiting to happen! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 19:23
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
And Leeedy, that is a world-class collection of bikes you have there!! Very impressive lineup. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 19:25
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Leedy

Yes, of course you're right about the history of motorised bicycles - especially in the US. Many have come and gone.

There was one enduring success, but it was in Europe. The Solex - sold mostly in France - was a cheap and cheerful little "moped" that came with a small two stroke engine but could be pedalled as well. It was not capable of climbing even a slight slope under its own power. The 35cc (later 50cc) motor was mounted over the front wheel and drove via contact with the front tire.

Nevertheless, they sold 7 million (!) of these things over a period of about 40 years. They finally disappeared in the late 1980s.

Anybody know how many Autocycles were sold in the US?

There's a very good chance that any French adult owned one of these things when they were young and couldn't afford anything else (let alone a Packard!). They are collectors' items now. Nice examples sell for $1-2500.

I don't know if these were ever sold in the US. Maybe you do?

Sad to hear that most of your collection was stolen somewhere along the line. But you obviously still have a great collection of literature.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/5/2 1:51
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

b.wilson wrote:
Hello Leedy

Yes, of course you're right about the history of motorised bicycles - especially in the US. Many have come and gone.

There was one enduring success, but it was in Europe. The Solex - sold mostly in France - was a cheap and cheerful little "moped" that came with a small two stroke engine but could be pedalled as well. It was not capable of climbing even a slight slope under its own power. The 35cc (later 50cc) motor was mounted over the front wheel and drove via contact with the front tire.

Nevertheless, they sold 7 million (!) of these things over a period of about 40 years. They finally disappeared in the late 1980s.

Anybody know how many Autocycles were sold in the US?

There's a very good chance that any French adult owned one of these things when they were young and couldn't afford anything else (let alone a Packard!). They are collectors' items now. Nice examples sell for $1-2500.

I don't know if these were ever sold in the US. Maybe you do?

Sad to hear that most of your collection was stolen somewhere along the line. But you obviously still have a great collection of literature.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks, Brian.

Of course I'm very familiar with Solex. I even have original old brochures/catalogues. Yes, some were sold for a time in the USA.

However, in the USA Solex was never anything we or the industry considered as a "bicycle." It was too heavy and purpose-built more on the motorized direction than the pedal direction.

This was what we officially termed a "mo-ped" or "moped." Mopeds in the USA enjoyed a short time of popularity just after WW2 and they resurged again in the 1970s (especially during the oil crisis) but died out rather quickly in the 1980s.

Mopeds keep trying to come back every few years, but unless a person is living in a very crowded urban area or perhaps at the beach, a light motorcycle just seems to work better in the conditions here.

As for "Autocycles"... this was a term used by several USA bicycle companies, including first, Excelsior (in the early 1900s) and later, Arnold, Schwinn & Co. Suspect what you are referencing is the Autobike... which was still selling last time I checked. It was made here, after all and as I said, could often be seen in the middle of the night being hawked on direct-sales marathons on TV.

Posted on: 2020/5/2 7:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
Leeedy wrote:....Guess who the guy is riding the Whizzerized Schwinn in the photo below?.....
Leon,
You gave the game name away in the photo itself!

Ahhh! SO you were paying attention, huh? Good!

Posted on: 2020/5/2 8:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Leeedy wrote:....Ahhh! SO you were paying attention, huh? Good!
Leon,
Always paying attention!

But, were you after this post?

PackardDon and I gave our guesses as to who the good friend is bicycle riding with you? Who that is, is nagging away at me as I'm sure it is with Don and others?

Posted on: 2020/5/2 16:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Leeedy

You're a veritable fountain of knowledge on this stuff.

Yes, you're right. The Solex was classified and generally described as a moped. The unfortunate part was it needed a goodly amount of pedalling to make any real progress!

It's interesting how devices like this have come and gone in terms go popularity.

Logically, the next wave should be small electric powered motorcycles of course. These are now being made and sold by the millions in China, since motorcycles have been banned from most main roads there. Problem is, you can't hear them coming down the pavement behind you! Electric "scooters" in China now cost about the same as a small motorcycle and have a nominal range of around 100 miles. Popular brands include names that translate to things like "Soaring Pigeon". Somehow, I doubt that will catch on.

Now, back to Packards. Am contemplating a solo run in the Clipper today. A lovely clear winter's day here with a nip in the air. All I have to do is come up with a compelling reason to travel when I'm supposed to be languishing at home out of harms way.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/5/2 19:21
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
As a side note about electric bikes and electric mo-peds. I was at a bike shop on Saturday getting a part for my bike and the staff was selling a $4,000 electric mountain mo-ped bike. They also had several more on the floor ranging from a base model at $2,000 up to the top of the line $4,000 model. They seem to be popular here for street and off road riding.

Posted on: 2020/5/3 13:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved