Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

1956 executive disc brake conversion kits
Just popping in
Just popping in

fullercustoms
See User information
I have decided my Packard needs disc brakes. I see others have pieced something together however I want as close to bolt on as I can get. These are the kits I have found.

https://www.jimenezbroscustoms.net/product-page/1951-56-packard-complete-front-disc-brake-conversion-wheel-kit

https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/brakekitlistfront?year=1950&make=packard&model=super+eight&mod

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Packard&MakeYear=1956&CategoryID=803&ProductCode=523&Router=Catalog

I like the lower price of my first option listed, but I am leaning towards wilwood. I'm used to upgraded brakes on modern cars so I like to stop! Anyone install this kit?

I would like to upgrade the master cylinder too is their a bolt on double reservoir I can simply replace the current reservoir with? I do not want to custom fit anything.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 19:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 executive disc brake conversion kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've never installed disk brakes and see no need for it but I have researched what's available. One thing to watch for is whether your stock wheels will fit and if any modifications to the car itself will be needed. For example, relocating the master with a modern type might be needed. Also, your car is an Executive so you'll need to specify Clipper Custom or at least make sure that the supplier knows that it has different brakes and different bolt pattern than other senior Packards.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 19:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
ABS Power Brake and Classic disc brakes also have kits.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset032.html

https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/1951-56-Packard-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-w-booster-master-parkardcomplete.htm

Packards are a forgotten brand for most of the mainstream vendors. Not much is commercially available for brake changes. If you are looking for a master cylinder replacement for a power brake car (Treadlevac) there is no master that will bolt to the old booster section because it is an integrated system. No complete booster/master modern assy will just bolt on and work in the original location because of the pedal ratio. Any modern booster/master combo that would fit in the original location needs a serious pedal mod to change the ratio. Most have settled on mounting a new booster/master in the vent location and with a new pedal assy the location will enable a much easier and less noticeable change for the ratio but that also requires custom work.

If you have manual brakes with the master under the floor I believe there have been a couple of installs but again nothing bolt on. You would need at the least to custom make a bracket to match the new master mounting to the old single cylinder mounting bolt location.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The Treadle Vac does complicate the upgrade to a modern master, I have never seen really good solution.
That said, If one were to fit senior front brakes and drill the drum for the correct bolt pattern, I suspect this would markedly improve the brakes.
Doubt I am the first to consider this, has it been done?

Posted on: 2020/5/1 20:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fullercustoms,
to PackardInfo.

Unfortunately I have nothing to add regarding disc brake conversions, but instead invite you to include your '56 Executive in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/5/1 20:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Many, many people have tried to find a way to adapt modern power brake systems in place of the Bendix Treadle-Vac in Packards, including myself. There have been a lot of attempts, non very satisfactory. The biggest issue is that the Treadle-Vac in the Packard is mounted directly to the pedal, without a linkage. It has a small effective master cylinder bore (5/8" if i remember correctly) and a very long stroke, which allows it to provide leverage (small master cylinder bore operating on a large slave cylinder bore, with a long stroke). Modern Delco-style brake boosters/master cylinders are mounted up high on the firewall, and get their leverage from a linkage. They have 1" bores typically and a much shorter stroke, and of course if they are dual circuit they have 2 pistons. You need a 2.56:1 linkage at minimum (2 x 2.56:1 ~ 5:1 for a dual circuit system) to match what the Treadle-Vac was putting out ( 8/5 squared ), and from what I understand most are between 4 and 5:1, it's a function of slave cylinder bores, and whether you are running disc or drum, etc.), so you might need this kind of pedal ratio, depending on what the disc brake system you were adapting was designed for. Very complicated! Easy to spend a lot of money and get something that doesn't work!

The few possible solutions to this involve designing your own linkage and putting a modern power brake system (look back, I think people found stuff from mid-1970's Lincoln's would fit) up on the firewall in place of the Left-hand-side air circulation vent. But that's not a very nice solution!

Ideally, someday Wildwood or someone would make a 0.44" bore (you have to go even smaller because of the two pistons for the dual-circuit) long-stroke dual-master that could be mounted to one of those compact dual-chamber boosters and go right under the floor where the Treadle-Vac was. But such a thing has yet to occur, and I doubt that it ever will.

Most people, myself included, have come to realize that the brakes, at least on the Senior Packards, are o.k., if not asked to do too much. If you are in a situation with a lot of hills, etc., use low range on the Ultramatic, or shift down to a lower gear. Don't be afraid to stop/slow down and let your brakes cool off if you feel them start to fade.

Posted on: 2020/5/2 0:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
jeromeSolberg Very interesting read, great synopsis. Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2020/5/2 12:09
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

fullercustoms
See User information
Lots of great information here for me to ponder as I try and figure out what road I am going to go here. I love this car its really unique and special, but upgrades and parts are definitely a challenge.

I also assumed the clipper had the same brakes so thanks for that information I would have totally missed that detail.

Posted on: 2020/5/5 9:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The late Craig Hendrickson was one of the first to perform and document the installation of disc brakes and a modern master/booster unit on a V8 55-56 model. His method was done using non kit items and is shown on his still active Panther website under the Conversion Projects heading. While the booster/master cylinder unit and method would be identical, due to the drum size difference between his senior 55 Patrician and the junior Clipper cars the wheel parts he used would not be identical. A few have done his booster/master with pedal mods but since the pedal look and position is so different because of the needed ratio change it is not IMO, as good an approach as the higher on firewall air vent location.

There is a 56 Executive done by a friend of his also on the website with different approaches to adding some modern component improvements.http://www.1956packardpanther.com

Posted on: 2020/5/5 9:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
On the kit that we offer you can retain your stock wheel. Please let me know if you have any questions on the kit that we offer. Plus when placing the order through our website you are eligible for free shipping with the USA 48 states.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/5/7 8:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved