Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Six Timing
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Been awhile, have completely rebuilt the engine and restored the frame and floorboards mid car forward over the winter. Engine is extremely quiet now

Running nicely but isn't quite right. Couple of issues / questions:
1- On vacuum advance cars I have worked on in the past, timing is done with vacuum advance port blocked off. I do not see that in any manual for the Packard's. Is vacuum advance suppose to be connected while setting timing?

2- Rebuilt the distributor as well. Noticed that the vacuum advance unit did not have the "return" spring in it. Can't find one anywhere. I scrounged my box of springs and found one that I "feel" is close and am using it, but without a distributor machine (nor the advance specs) shooting in the dark. Anyone with ideas for finding the spring? How about ignition curve for the advance?

3- The distributor clamp is tired. I attempted to straighten it but the metal is weak, Can't seem to get it tight enough as it seems to wander after a couple road trips. Looking for the hold down clamp, ideas?

Motor sure turned out nice

Attach file:

jpg  (44.37 KB)
111944_5eae05c8ce466.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/5/2 18:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six Timing
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would say that instructions for setting the timing without disconnecting the vacuum line is because the vacuum source to the distributor is in a port above the carburetor throttle plates. With the engine at the proper RPMs the port is not exposed to vacuum and therefore it is not necessary to disconnect the line. Still, it does not hurt to disconnect the line.

Posted on: 2020/5/3 13:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks JW, makes sense. It does state to set fuel compensator to zero. Any idea what that is?

Just verified mechanical advance is working, did see a couple degree change in timing with vacuum line off at idle and line plugged.

Posted on: 2020/5/3 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Use to they had a small scale marked that was at the base of the distributor. According to the octane of the gas you would loosen it and advance or retard the timing some. On Chevy they were labeled an octane selector

Posted on: 2020/5/3 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Fascinating PTV, thank you

As for the compensator, I was referring to it as the distributor hold down bracket. I straightened out the bent ears, tack welded across an area that they rolled the metal and it seems quite strong now

Posted on: 2020/5/3 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here it is in all its glory! This one is from my 115C.

Attach file:

jpeg  (40.13 KB)
565_5eb03eb6adfc8.jpeg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2020/5/4 11:11
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Looks like a particularly well preserved NOS piece, John!!! Nice job.
Somebody posted an upgrade to the tightening nut on the site a short while back and it looked like it made it a whole lot easier to access. Did you see that one?? I intend to adapt mine that way, but have so many things to chase, I haven't gotten anywhere near 'around to it', yet! Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/5 0:05
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chris, this photo was taken before I changed the short clamp bolt with a longer one and a short piece of tubing. The octane adjuster fixture was original to my Packard.

Posted on: 2020/5/5 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Yours looks like a much newer and user friendly model than mine. I do not have the handy dial extending out. You have to loosen the two bolts to dial in the advance/retard and can't see the scale too easily based on it's location

Posted on: 2020/5/5 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey John(s) ...yes, I agree with you jwblazek, JW's DOES look like a newer and better version than I/we have. Sounds like we have the same unit and it is anything but user-friendly. Irrespective John's repaired/refurbished piece looks top-drawer to me. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/5 22:02
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved