Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Early 30's radio antenna
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
What do early 30's radio antennas look like on open cars? I have a 32 with what looks like a dealer's installed radio and a 1936 with a factory radio. The antenna wires only goes about a foot out of the radio and doesn't attach to anything. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/5/4 11:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Early 30's radio antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting question. Also hope someone has a definitive answer or a photo so I can add to my collection of not often needed facts.

Manuals I have don't show any photos of antennas for the open cars but there is one paragraph in an early 30s Philco install instruction saying antennas used on open cars snap into place but no mention of where. Unfortunately with the Packard Accessory division closed we will need to rely on other sources for the information they suggested writing in about.

For the under car antenna they speak of I suspect they might mean something like the running board type as shown in an illustration from the old Yesterday's Radio catalog was also available for the open cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.12 KB)
209_5eb0468302e75.jpg 728X502 px

jpg  (120.86 KB)
209_5eb04693e8289.jpg 1274X1262 px

Posted on: 2020/5/4 11:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
Thanks, I have never seen a running board antenna before. Seams like it would be very directional. I tried to use the isolated back of the seat springs. It worked great for certain directions then would fade out when I went the other way. (you have to go home sometime) I once saw a antenna on the center windshield post, but I cant remember how it attached. I was thinking with all the Packard coach built cars There might be a interesting solution for my Packard antenna with early 30s technology.

Posted on: 2020/5/4 15:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I cant find a 1936 running board antenna in the parts book. Would anyone know the Packard part number? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/5/5 11:29
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I had a Derham built formal sedan. The antenna was "chicken wire" under the roof insert.

Posted on: 2020/5/5 15:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The earliest book I have that shows the running board antenna is the 38 accessory book. No idea if whatever was called an undercar antenna mentioned in the earlier install instructions was the same as the running board antenna but I would imagine it must be something similar suspended somewhere under the car.

There was no accessory section in the 35-41 parts book as there was in some of the postwar books so probably any part number would be on a dealer accessory sheet or price list.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.93 KB)
209_5eb1d0b87c92d.jpg 944X678 px

Posted on: 2020/5/5 15:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I was thinking if I could find a part number there might be a blue print. Would there be a part number in the dealer accessory sheet or price list. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/5/6 4:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved