Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Need Cylinder Head, '34 8. What Yrs would be Interchangable ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
I Need To Replace The Cylinder Head,On My '34 8. I'd prefer a '34 Head of Course, But What Yrs would be Interchangeable If I Can't Find a '34 Head in Good shape ?
Thanks,
Tom

Posted on: 2020/5/10 16:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Need Cylinder Head, '34 8. What Yrs would be Interchangable ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
I think any 320 CU head 1932 to 1933 will fit right on. 1935 and 36, 320 CU should also fit but the water inlet for the top radiator hose has a bolt on elbow. If I recall the water jacket holes changed in 1938, or 39 in the blocks, therefore the later cylinder heads will not match the cooling holes in the earlier block. I needed a new cylinder head for my 1935 Eight, my aluminum cylinder head was garbage. I was able to find and purchase what appeared to be a universal replacement cylinder head, as it had had all the water cooling holes for all the different block configurations. I recommend a a cast iron head. I think if you try the usual vendors you will be able to find one. David Flack-Flackmaster on this site may have one, John Ulrich Packard Parts, David Moe Packard Seattle, or Kanter.
Andy

Posted on: 2020/5/10 17:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to Hollander's Interchange, 34-38 320 engine heads interchange. That would be 1100-1-2, 1200-1-2, 1400-1-2, 1500-1-2, and 1603-4-5. A notable appearance difference is the provision for a cylinder head thermostat on the later heads which will require a little creativity for the upper radiator hose fitment.

Though Hollanders specifically excludes earlier heads, I suspect they are incorrect and believe a 1933 1001 head will also interchange and would have the same water outlet neck as the 1100-1-2. I believe my 1100 has a 1933 head, I'll check and post the casting number shortly.

PS - no casting number on the head, but the later head on my spare 1934 Eight engine has casting #242511.

And note that with the later heads you'll be going from 14mm to 10mm spark plugs.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 17:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thank you Andy, appreciate the info and your time. This really helps.
Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2020/5/10 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks very much Owen. It's been awhile since I was on the forum, and I was hoping you would still be there with your knowledge and guidance.

I guess the next question I have for you and Andy is if any heads earlier than '33 could work. The reason I'm asking is I found 2 heads available on eBay...one from a Packard 740 Roadster 8, and the other and I quote "1930-31 Packard standard 8-726-33-826-33-cylinder head. Fits all the models stated." but I'm not sure what models he's referring to, and if its a '30-'31 head but it fit a '33, and a '33 probably fits a '34 then maybe I've got a fix ?? I guess the real question is if a '30-'31 will fit and match-up with my 1101 '34 ?

Andy,FYI I've already contacted John Ulrich, and he doesn't have what I'm looking for. I have a bad email for Packard Seattle, so I'll call David Moe and Jim Noah of Packard parts tomorrow. And have an e-mail out to Kanter too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 20:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall the answer offhand but I think you want to check the distributor mounting and especially the attaching bolt pattern, I believe those earlier heads have different distributor mounting.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 21:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
NO, the earlier heads will Not interchange. NO can do.

The main difference between the 33-34 heads and the 35-38/39 heads are the 33/4 heads have the integral water outlet and 4 bolt distributor mounting. Functionally they do interchange. Dave/O-D I am surprised you have a 242511 head on your spare motor, that is the 1939 head with the revised/improved water coolant passages. Correct me, didn't the 3044330 distributor still have the 4 bolt stand? Maybe not. Surely an easy answer to that.

I do not have any 33-34 heads available. I do have a 242511 head available, along with a 338xxx (number escape my brain at the moment ...813? too lazy to go out to the garage right now) but it is the best cast iron replacement head Packard made for the 33-38 style coolant holes...slightly higher compression, oh joy! NOS McCord gaskets (33-38 style) too...love that good old american asbestos...

You can use either head, subject to a 3 bolt distributor mount (have) and a bolt on water outlet (have), so after you digest what has been said, as AJS knows, I am ready to help.

Posted on: 2020/5/10 22:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thank you Flackmaster.
Yes, between you, Andy, and Owen, I've got some sorting double checking to do for sure.
Another very appreciated "thank you" to each of you.
Tom

Posted on: 2020/5/11 3:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave (Flackmaster), the 34 8-cylinder distributor is a 3-bolt mounting. 1933 uses the same distributor but I'm not sure if the mounting base is the same. And my 242511 head is"residing" on my spare '34 Eight motor, meaning the studs and holes match, but its not a running motor, the head is just stored there for convenience. Sorry for not being clear about that.

Posted on: 2020/5/11 7:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks again to all of you for all the support.
I sincerely appreciate your time effort and your knowledge, let alone your willingness to share all that with people like me who really need some help from time to time!

Posted on: 2020/5/11 12:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved