Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Message from the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
IIRC, one of the factory bulletins advises to measure and compare clearance to ground from the bottom of each end of the rocker panels to check level.

Yet, on a properly levelled car, I also noticed that the lower line of the rear fender shroud/skirt (approximately) bisected the red hex on the wheel cover. Ever since, I've used that as a more convenient guideline - even when the control box is on the fritz and I've had to compensate "manually".

However, you should keep in mind that, even when properly levelled, riding height can decrease based on vehicle load and equipment, which may affect how much of the red hex is covered.

WRT cars running around with the rear jacked up, if not due a failure of the control system, I suspect there are some people who have used the (straight) side moldings as a level reference. The problem is that those moldings actually run downhill, fore-to-aft. I made that mistake, myself as a newbie.

Posted on: 2020/5/12 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
? No "weights in the trunk." Why would I want to do that? And why wouldn't the Torsion-Level suspension on a virtually new car negate the weights?? No "soft torsion bars"... again the car at the time it was photographed had less than 1,000 miles so how would the torsion bars have gone soft?

low mileage has little to do with 4600 + pounds sitting on suspension for 20+ give or take years. Body to frame bushings can also get compressed over time.

Posted on: 2020/5/12 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

portlandon wrote:
Quote:
? No "weights in the trunk." Why would I want to do that? And why wouldn't the Torsion-Level suspension on a virtually new car negate the weights?? No "soft torsion bars"... again the car at the time it was photographed had less than 1,000 miles so how would the torsion bars have gone soft?

low mileage has little to do with 4600 + pounds sitting on suspension for 20+ give or take years. Body to frame bushings can also get compressed over time.

As a former lead engineer for a major car corporation and a longtime member of SAE, I guess I wouldn't know such a thing.

Should I mention that I actually DROVE this car WHEN the photos were taken?

Should I mention that I took the photo (with my camera on a timer and tripod)?

Should I mention that I met Bill Allison decades ago and talked with him several times and actually rode in his torsion-bar cyclecar at the Packard Proving Ground in 1973?

Should I mention that I've designed advanced electro-rheological automotive suspensions?

Should I mention that I was chief instructor for North America for steerable rear automotive suspensions?

Should I mention that I've participated in road and pavement designs and their effects on automotive suspensions?

Should I mention that the Beverly Hills residential street where I took this photo has a nice arc crown in the pavement for water drainage (meaning that the curb side is lower than the street side) and thus a rear axle would be on a slant with the driver's side most compressed?

Nah.

But I detest arguing. Especially when there is nothing to argue about except opinions of those were not even there! This is my last response on the suspension position on this car in this photo. So have at it.

Posted on: 2020/5/12 11:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Didn't mean to question your integrity.

I did enjoy all the accolades you listed. You are a plethora of knowledge.

But wouldn't the weight of the car eventually compress the rubber body mounts causing the body to be lower than from the factory? Even with such low mileage? I don't think my comment was out of order.

Posted on: 2020/5/12 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The photographic record shows those cars sitting at a variety of ride heights when new. I am surprised they all haven't sagged over the years which shows Packard was using some pretty good metallurgy at the time. As well, the convertible chassis is subject to sag especially with the top down.

In the lab they load vehicles all the time. They put thermocouples on them and study how fast the springs are destroyed. The old Chevy station wagons were notorious for sagging springs. One guy I knew put engines in the back of one and when he unloaded it the springs had lost temper and were permanently collapsed.

The bottom line is the old timers were right in storing cars on jack stands, if only to prevent flat spots on the tires.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 8:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I don't think my comment was out of order.

Don (portlandon), no, yours wasn't.
And with that, back to the roots.

------------------------------------------------

Here is a message recently received from the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio [Craig (ECAnthony)].

Covid Donor Letter.pdf

Covid special mailing piece.pdf

Posted on: 2020/5/13 13:27
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seems like only one part of the message from the opening post caught our attention, the Jean Peters car. The dire straights and possible financial collapse of the Warren Museum has gone without comment here and I think that was the primary message. It's a horribly difficult time for an institution to be asking for funds, but it would also be horrible to see the Packard museum lost to us.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
This is true. We just lost the World of Speed Museum here in Wilsonville, Oregon. Museums were hurting before the Covid. Now I'm sure it will take out many of them.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 14:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
All of this stuff is heading down the toilet. My rule of thumb has been I wouldn't pay more than I would for a new car. Suddenly I see a restored 29 Packard reduced to less than the cost of a new Jeep.

There is some humor in this turmoil however. For example, I had some cash lying around and put it into a 3-5 year duration investment grade bond fund. Well, those rocket scientists have managed to do the impossible and it loses money. The only way you can lose money under the mattress is if you are running a Ponzi scheme. Unfortunately for these car clubs and museums when I croak it's going to the ASPCA and to Planned Parenthood.

Posted on: 2020/5/15 8:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
It is possible to use a credit card or a debit card to donate to the museum. You could also purchase something from the museum store that would give them some cash. FYI

https://packardmuseum.org/products/museum-donation

Posted on: 2020/5/15 20:33
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved