Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 cracked exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I am asking this out of ignorance. Do you suppose JB Weld would work on a cracked exhaust manifold?

Posted on: 2020/5/17 9:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 37 cracked exhaust manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've heard it tried on Ford 8N tractors, but not on a Packard. It's not like you have much to lose by trying it!

Posted on: 2020/5/17 9:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
If you do try it, use the right one. They have a extreme temperature version. I've seen it used in an industrial application by pipefitters and millwrights on ducting and piping for temporary repairs to get through to a shutdown or outage scenario. Take note it doesn't have the same mechanical properties of the regular JB Weld.

Posted on: 2020/5/17 10:00
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Brazing not an option Cartrich?? A far superior 'fix' and properly done, will last. I had a cast mixing elbow on the diesel in my sailboat brazed and it lasted 20 years before cracking again. Lots of heat there and with the constant cold water mixing, lots of temperature change. Worth considering. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/17 13:08
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Brazing is not out of the question. I was just being lazy seeing how JB Weld has fixed just about everything I've used it for so far.

Posted on: 2020/5/17 13:31
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

toymanbob
See User information
If you can find an old experienced welder who has the correct welding rod, they can be arc-welded. Bob

Posted on: 2020/5/17 18:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Having seen metal stitching used a few times now, I would advocate stitching over brazing or welding - far fewer complications with embrittlement, weld contamination, etc.

I used Loc-N-Stich's product on my 115C engine block. They were very helpful, and I am sure they could advise you if a repair using that method would be practical.

Posted on: 2020/5/18 10:18
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would try and find a good one before for going through all the drama of trying to mend the crack. David Flack, David Moe and others may be able to help you locate a sound manifold.

Posted on: 2020/5/18 10:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi,
I recently had the exhaust manifold on my 1929 re-enameled by Tom Sparrow at Prairie Auto Porcelain in Minnesota (507-581-9887). Tom told me where to look for cracks in my manifold while we were talking on the phone...he knows these manifolds extremely well. Sure enough...mine was cracked right where he said it was. I sent it back and he had a guy, I think in Nebraska, weld it.

I also had a cracked cylinder head on the same car which Rick Geertsema at A&C Casting Rebuilders (415-269-5483) in Kelseyville, California repaired. He's not cheap, but welding cast iron is a serious mix of art and science. Rick works on everything from one of a kind antique tractor mainfolds to engine blocks for Salt Flat racers.

Both Rick and Tom do work for most of the major restoration shops and the quality of their work is top shelf.

John Wogec

Posted on: 2020/5/18 15:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved