Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1924 Sport Doorlock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
What do I have to do to became this typical Packard sound if I lock the doors. Right now I had to push the doors very hard or turn the handle to lock the doors. The spiral spring is very strong .. so I can?t close the doors by a light push. Maybee this is not the original doorlock ???

Attach file:

jpg  (184.31 KB)
147323_5ec4de833210e.jpg 1792X1344 px

Posted on: 2020/5/20 2:38
 Top  Print 

Re: 1924 Sport Doorlock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Carl, although I have certain difficulties to confirm the existence of a "typical Packard sound", please find attached an excerpt of the 1923 - 1925 Packard Eight parts list.

For reasons of traceability this way, please.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 666.81 KB; Hits: 74

Posted on: 2020/5/20 4:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That is a very common problem, although I have seen it on original cars as well and much less prevalent on closed cars. When it occurs after plating the culprit is likely hydrogen embrittlement of the springs. I never had anyone say they wanted it fixed, but the only deterministic evaluation requires sending one of two like performing pieces to the plater and then comparing dimensions.

Most owners of restored open cars didn't want to slam the doors anyway because those bodies aren't very stout to begin with and manually detenting the latches avoids cracking the finish.

Posted on: 2020/5/20 6:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
Hallo Gerd,
some owners show this special sound into youtube videos. If I can find it again I`ll post it.
It is like a dark metallic "Click..Click" after the door became a light pusch with one finger and the door is closed.
I also saw this in Peabble Beach as Owners show this to the public. It shows a part of the quality and precision of the work on this cars at this time also in details. If you got the possibility to close a Door from a Trabant and a Bentley side by side .. you?ll know what I mean.

Posted on: 2020/5/20 7:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Karl
See User information
Gerd ...
there are a couple more on youtube but here are 2 examples of this typical "Packard Door Sound" where I?m talking about.
Go to 9:19 on the 1934 Super 8 Video
and 0:53 on the 1929 633 Video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAjMDfBXQO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30IwSG55SA

Posted on: 2020/5/20 12:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved